Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 4 May 2011

The Coronation Street Game

I popped into a British Heart Foundation charity shop the other day to drop off some books and couldn't help but notice an item up above the till. I don't think I've ever seen "The Coronation Street Game" before and so I had to have it and at only £2.90 it seemed an absolute bargain. The box was taped up and I wasn't about to start opening it up and rooting around inside the box while still in the shop, so I rushed home to hunt out the delights inside.

I ripped the box open and there was a veritable treasure trove of bits and pieces inside: small caricatures of some characters; question cards; cards with pictures from the various business premises; a wonderful board; and even some plastic pigeons. It seemed as though just about everything was there and we couldn't wait to get started. There was only one problem. No rules!

So is there anybody out there with a copy of this game, which dates from 1995, and has a copy of the rules that they could scan or photocopy for me and Flaming Nora as we're eager with anticip..ation to get going with this game? It looks far better than your average go round a board and answer a few questions type game. Here's what the blurb on the box has to say:

'How well do you know Britain's best known Street? One things for sure. This exciting game will put your knowledge to the test. For instance, do you know which Coronation Street character is called 'Duck Egg'? Or do you know what 'Addled' means? There are over 1000 varied trivia questions for you to answer but this game is much more than that.To win the game you have to collect items from various locations on The Street. So, do you fancy a pint at The Rovers or a shampoo at Denise's Salon?You'll also have to catch Jack's pigeons which have an annoying habit of flying off. Oh! And just when you least need it, someone will stop you on The Street for a long gossip.Who wins? Well, its not necessarily the Street whiz, or someone old enough to remember Ena Sharples, but it could help!'

So have you played the game? Is it any good? And have you got a copy of the rules you could let us have?

8 comments:

DeeDee Eckerslyke said...

If all else fails you can buy a copy at vintagetoybox.co.uk (listed here http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Coronation-Street-Game/products/Coronation) only £1.50 so not too expensive!

maggie muggins said...

Try Google. There's a set of rules for sale in one of the first results I found in the UK. Under 3 pounds. http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Coronation-Street-Game/products/Coronation

I also found this:

"Each player takes on the role as a Coronation Street character. Each player must visit 5 locations and collect object cards and rescue one of Jack's pigeons. The first player to collect all 5 object cards and a pigeon, and return to their starting place and answer a Coronation Street trivia question is the winner."

from here: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/51973/the-coronation-street-game

I used 'coronation street game rules 1995' as the search terms. You could add board (game) to that too. Kewl find!

Sunny Jim said...

Thanks, I'd seen the rules for sale but hey, I'm a Yorkshireman!

Dilly Daydream said...

I've got a Coronation Street boxed game made by Berwick, it's called The Street Game of Trivia Questions with Playing Board. It's copyright date is 1988.

I could never get anyone to play it with me for any length of time because I knew all the answers so no-one else ever won!! :-)

Louise Bruygoms said...

Hi,

I have this game which my husband and I had a lot of fun playing - he lost as he has a very limited knowledge of Coro!!

Anyway the game is currently in storage but I will try to find it and dig out the rules for you.
Is there an email address I could send it to when I do find it??

Louise

bbhilda said...

I have the rules to this game, let me know if you still need them and I will scan & send them to you.
Christine

Sunny Jim said...

Many thanks to Michelle for sending us a pdf of the rules. We're really looking forward to playing it.

Anonymous said...

does anyone have the rules plz?

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!