Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 22 June 2010

My Fantasy Corrie Cast

After reading the recent post about Lysette Anthony joining Corrie, I was just thinking about all the famous faces "d'un age certain" - 'scuse my French - that have appeared on Coronation Street.

Not the ones who appeared when they were still unknowns, like Joanna Lumley - I mean well-established faces, such as Sir Ian McKellen, Andrew Sachs, Nigel Havers, Anthony Valentine, and so forth. And I was also thinking about those who have expressed a wish to appear, such as Julie Walters and Joanna Lumley.

How do the producers decide who will "blend in", as a character rather than a famous face, and who will not? It must be pretty difficult with the bigger stars. Ian McKellen was great - he really did seem to be "Mel Hutchwright". I didn't really find myself thinking "Oh, there's Ian McKellen." Now there's quality.

Why have I used this picture? well, Frances de la Tour and Richard Griffiths are two actors I'd love to see in Corrie - and they are so good, I'm certain they'd "fit in" in the Rovers. Other members of my "fantasy cast" would be Leonard Rossiter and Christopher Cazenove. Okay, both have sadly left us now, but hey. I think Richard E. Grant could be good, and also, Kate O'Mara, Kylie Minogue and Pamela Anderson - though how you'd get Kylie and Pammie to "blend in" is beyond me.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unpretentious Julie Walters for sure -- she wants in and she'd fit right in as someone's auntie...give her anything and this actress will make it her own!

Adam said...

I could see her playing a descendant of Annie Walker's...her granddaughter perhaps?!

Glenda Young said...

I'd like to see Thomas Turgoose in Corrie (he was in This is England and Somers Town). Cracking actor.

Sea Penguin said...

Yes, someone young like that would be good. It seems like Corrie's turning into a celeb. BB full of decrepit old thesps sometimes (no disrespect!!)- but at the same time, I quite like that!

Cobblestone said...

Some of those 'decrepid old thesps', like Michael Byrne, for instance, are often the best thing in the show. They KNOW how to act, so long may they continue. (By the way, when IS Ted coming back?)

I've been longing to see Julie Walters in the show for years now. And how about Victoria Wood - as Aunty Pam's sister, maybe?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Frances would be great. So would a return gem by Maureen Lipman - she was outstanding. Or Paula Wilcox.

While we're shooting for the moon, how about Maggie Smith?

Not Helen Mirren, though. We've seen too much of her lately.

Nurse Florence Ganderpoke said...

Sean Bean for me! :P http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/news/a28443/sean-bean-wants-to-star-as-corrie-milkman.html

Sea Penguin said...

It's funny - I was just thinking Maggie Smith this morning. She would be fantastic. I'd also love to see Stanley Baxter in it, possibly playing a "decrepit old thesp"!.

Clare said...

Julie Walters and Joanna Lumley (again) would be awesome!!

Anna said...

I would keep the cast that is there now but would get rid of...
Claire peacock
Ashley peacock
Dev Alahan
Charlotte Hoyle
Molly Dobbs
Sally Webster

Apart from that I would keep the rest of the cast in it!

I really don't know who I would like to see in it!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!