Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 6 December 2020

‘I sat next to Pat Phoenix in the make-up room!’ Corrie 60th Press Day Interview with Shelley King


When writing the Wednesday episode reviews for this blog, I have been utterly engaged, enlightened, and enthralled in the coercive control storyline. As one of the strongest women on the street, Yasmeen Nazir has been bullied, belittled, and psychologically abused in all manner of cruel ways by her husband, Geoff. The catalyst of this coercive control was Yasmeen stabbing Geoff in the neck with a broken wine bottle and spending the last 11 months on remand. Although guilty in one respect, Yasmeen is innocent, and we all know she is the victim of a misogynistic monster. 


Always reflective of cultural and social change, I think Corrie has outdone itself here with this, brave, and at times troubling telling of coercive control. 



With the attempted murder trial now in full swing, the 60th anniversary week promises some conclusion with this storyline, but will it be as we expect? The morality of Weatherfield means the bad guys always lose in the end. However, it's been a topsy turvy year, so are there any surprises in store? 


In our series of 60th anniversary press day interviews, we join ITV journalist Nina Nannar to discuss the coercive control story with actors Shelley King (Yasmeen Metcalfe), Ian Bartholomew (Geoff Metcalfe) and Sair Khan (Alya Nazir) 


Worthy of a three-part interview, part one is a chat with Shelley King about her six years in Coronation Street, the coercive control storyline, and sitting in a make-up room next to Corrie legend, Pat Pheonix. 


NN = Nina Nannar, SK = Shelley King 


NN - How has it been as an actor to be involved in this storyline?


SK- 'As an actor, it has been amazing, but of course, this is not the end. This sort of trauma will affect a character for the rest of their life. I am looking forward to seeing and portraying how it will affect Yasmeen. It would be too simplistic to suggest otherwise. I've been privileged that Coronation Street has allowed me to do this.'


NN - Do you think it has cost you in any way as an actor? 


SK- 'I think had I not had such an understanding partner who is in the business, a director herself, who talked me through it, it would have been difficult. At times I have been quite grumpy and tired because you have to access so many things within your personality to be true to the people who have shared their story with you. Thanks to Barty and Sair too, we have all grown to trust and work with each other.'



NN - Is it a thrill to be part of a Coronation Street anniversary storyline? 


SK - My goodness! Yes! Coronation Street has been in my life ever since I came to this country aged 10 - I remember it clearly. Then in my 20's doing The Jewel in the Crown (TV drama) and I was excited to be working with Dame Peggy Ashcroft, yet my mum was more excited because I had sat next to Pat Phoenix in the make-up room! 


                                                                      ****


Can you imagine Yasmeen and Elsie having a drink together in The Rovers?


Keep 'em peeled for part two of this interview where we get the lowdown from Geoff Metcalfe aka actor Ian Bartholomew. 


I am @rybazoxo your cobble connoisseur! 







All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!