Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 8 December 2020

Dan Brocklebank interview- Will Billy's head be turned by Todd at Christmas?




In recent months, Billy Mayhew's world has been turned upside down by the return of ex-boyfriend Todd Grimshaw. Todd has been doing everything he can to win Billy back, and he puts his plots into high gear in the build-up to Christmas. Dan Brocklebank spoke to us about Todd's manipulations, and whether or not Billy's head could be turned. 

We've seen glimpses that Billy could still be harbouring feelings for Todd, and Dan says that Todd's return has greatly unsettled Billy. "It's really made him think long and hard about everything because Todd's bursting back onto the scene", said Dan. "There were so many unresolved emotions and questions as to where he's been. It has rattled him, even to the point where he almost considered not going for this job interview with the Archdeacon". 

With Christmas approaching, Todd has amplified his schemes to a great extent, and his plans seem to be working as Billy gives Todd the benefit of the doubt. "[Billy] knows Todd and he knows what Todd is capable of. 

"Billy does let his guard down. I think because Billy's a forgiving person anyway and he does try and find the good in everyone in every situation, and I think he does start to let his guard down, maybe foolishly so". 

After Todd joins the helpline where Paul volunteers, Todd meets AJ and invites him out, where they bump into Billy and Paul. In an effort to make Billy jealous, Todd flirts with AJ, but his scheme appears to backfire. Dan said: "Billy genuinely says to him, 'It's great to see you with somebody'. It's nice to see him finally letting Billy go and moving on. I don't think Billy necessarily sees that situation for what it is, certainly at first". 

On top of this, Billy finds out that Paul has been hiding a secret from Billy, and is further upset to find out that Paul has been confiding in Todd. Feeling betrayed, Billy confronts Paul. "In a weird way, [Billy]'s eyes are opened up to Paul as well. In that particular situation, the thing that Billy is most upset about is the fact that Paul has been confiding in Todd, and not Billy. 

"I think he feels really betrayed by that, and obviously says to Paul, 'I know this guy... you're foolish for letting him in as much as you are'". 

With everything going on, Todd's return also caused Billy to question his relationship with Paul. Dan told us: "Billy admitted in the first scene with Todd that he was the love of his life, and you don't just get over that. I think because Paul is the absolute antithesis of Todd in every respect, I think probably Billy's chosen somebody like Paul, whether it was conscious or not, because I don't think he could ever cope with being that hurt by somebody again. Potentially, I think he's chosen somebody he can't develop those deep-rooted feelings for that he had with Todd, then it's a safety mechanism". 

With Summer to think about, Dan believes that Billy wants to be friends with Todd and have him involved in Summer's life. "I think it's something [Billy] would like purely for mostly Summer's benefit, because obviously Summer's lost her first father, she then lost Todd, she's now gained Paul. 

"For it to work with Summer, it has to be amicable between Billy and Todd, so I think that would be his choice, to have Todd there for Summer. He was a great dad to Summer, she adored him, and they're both as sassy as each other so I think it was a really nice dynamic there with those two characters, that they did find solace in one another". 

The ultimate question remains- who would Dan rather Billy be with? "Todd was more fun. Paul whinges a lot. Billy has to save Paul all the time which I think is quite an unhealthy dynamic in a relationship- it feels very parental. I think he'd probably be happier with Todd".

After chatting about Billy's seasonal nightmares, Dan told us how he would usually spend his own Christmas. "I'm hoping to spend it with my family. I hosted here in my house last year but I'm just hoping I get to hang out with my family". 

Dan also told us whether he's decorated Dan's Bar yet... "I tend to be quite a late tree putter-upperer. Maybe this year will be different if I'm locked in my house". 

As Todd spends every waking moment trying to win Billy round, is a Christmas reunion on the cards, or will Billy get the measure of Todd? 

Sophie Williams

Read some more of my general natterings on Twitter @soph_writer.







All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License




No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!