Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 9 December 2020

Betty’s not-so-hot pot


Guest blog post from Rob who is on Twitter: @robdcgeek 
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here! 

As it’s a big week for Corrie this week, I thought I’d celebrate by making Betty Turpin’s famous Hot Pot for tea on 9th December. 

I’ve loved the Street for as long as I can remember, so I find myself surprised that I’ve never actually made this dish before. Especially as I’ve owned the official cook book for about 20 years. And that’s where this recipe comes from.



My earliest memory of The Street is the first Rovers fire back in 1986. I was 7 at the time and I remember it being a talking point at school the following day. We weren’t exactly discussing the subtlety of Julie Goodyear’s performance over the water cooler, but I think one girl mentioned it while we played marbles at break time. 

So, back to the recipe. It’s a very, very simple concoction. Which I suppose is about right as it’s a dish from much simpler times. According to ‘Life and Times at the Rovers Return’ by the amazing Daran Little, Betty’s Hot Pot first appeared on the menu in 1973. 


Brown the lamb. Appetisingly named “scrag end neck of Lamb.” What “scrag end” is, I’m not entirely sure, but I think you’ll agree it sounds delicious. 

I didn’t fancy asking for Scrag End in the butchers because I’m not living in 1943. So I opted for cubed leg of lamb from Sainsbury’s. Once browned, transfer the “scrag end” to a casserole dish.


Now, finely slice the potatoes and onions. Layer the mixed, raw potatoes and onions on top of the cooked meat, seasoning with salt and pepper as you go. Add the chicken stock. 

Finish with a final layer of over-lapping potato slices and then - just when we thought the dish couldn’t get more appealing than “scrag end” - brush the potatoes with melted lard. 


Cover the dish with a lid or tin foil and cook in a pre-heated oven for 2 hours. Remove the lid after the 2 hours and cook for a further 20 minutes to brown the top layer of potatoes. 

Now, I know what you’re thinking. This isn’t the quickest meal to make. I actually re-pointed my brickwork during the cooking time. But I’m sure it will all be worth it, so let’s move on. 


Now, I actually think the Hot Pot looks delicious and the aroma when cooking was fabulous. 

However, it’s a very basic dish. I think I’d prefer beef rather than lamb. But then that wouldn’t be a Hot Pot. 


It’s been a staple at the Rovers for 47 years and the place wouldn’t be the same without it. 

But I prefer to think of myself getting drunk on Prosecco in the Bistro with Audrey rather than playing darts and downing pints with Stan Ogden. Times change. This dish wasn’t my favourite, but it was certainly fitting that I tried it for the first time on Corrie’s 60th anniversary. 

Congratulations to everyone involved in making the show for the last 60 years. You’ve all been doing a great job. Keep it up. In the words of Lily Savage: “Hot Pot, Ken? Yes, lovie.” 

Guest blog post from Rob who is on Twitter: @robdcgeek 
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here! 







All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

2 comments:

Canadian watcher said...

What happened to the "secret ingredient" that Sean agonized over after he inherited the recipe? Aren't you supposed to add a bottle of stout at the end?

Louby said...

That looks delicious!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!