Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 9 December 2020

Common Northern, Middle-Class Northern, or Posh Northern - that’s my repertoire! Corrie Press Day Interview with Sue Devaney


In our continuing Corrie 60th blog interviews, we zoomed into press day to join ITV journalist Nina Nannar having a good chat with returning character Debbie Webster aka actress Sue Devaney.


NN = Nina Nannar,  SD = Sue Devaney  


NN - It must be amazing to have been in Coronation Street a long time ago, and then come back into it? 


SD -  'I am very fortunate that they wanted to use the same actress. When I was in it in the 1980s, I was 16, 17 years old, and working with Mike again, and people I have known for years, is such a gift.'



NN - What was it like to come back for the 60th anniversary? 


SD - 'It is such a privilege to be involved. I was in it again briefly last year for a few episodes and loved it. The difference is the speed of things - a script bundle arrives then you have to learn it very quickly now. It is fun but has changed a lot with far more actors, but a lovely atmosphere. I grow up with a lot of the cast at Oldham Theatre Workshop. You feel fortunate to be doing that you love.'



NN - When Coronation Street first launched people were surprised to hear northern accents represented on TV, and now we have that diversity of regional accents which goes unnoticed?


SD - 'Oh, yes - thank goodness. I always say that I can I play common northern, middle-class northern, or posh northern - that is my repertoire. So I can be on Corrie and talk like I do.' 


NN - Why do you think Corrie is still successful all the years later? 


SD - 'I think the actors, the writers, the familiarity of what we know and love, and those stories. I think people want to know about other people's lives.'


                                                            ****

The 90s kid in me got slightly over-excited seeing Sue on my screen. I used to get my Dad to videotape Dinner Ladies when I was off out with my first girlfriend. What an honour! 


I am @rybazoxo your cobbles connoisseur







All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!