Corrie has been doing something rather dastardly with that Owen Armstrong just lately. They've been making me like him. Only grudgingly, so far, but still...the starting to like is definitely there.
I feel rather strange about this. I have loathed Owen since he first showed up. For months now, almost a year in fact, he has been presented as a bully with no redeeming features whatsoever, and I was quite happy to loathe him with a fiery passion accordingly. But all of a sudden we are starting to see other, softer sides to the character, the peeling back of layers, which makes it appear that maybe he does have redeeming features after all.
The rehabilitation of Owen Armstrong has been coming on for a while now. It's been hinted at in odd scenes, suggested via spoilers. But I never really believed that how I felt about the character might change, the loathing was too deep-seated, the damage already done...
Except that apparently I'm easy to manipulate after all. Despite all those months of loathing and determination not to give it up, I can feel myself beginning to bend. After all Owen's furious opposition to young Katy's pregnancy - which, if I'm honest, I really can't blame him for - now that he's accepted it, he's starting to become supportive, even proving himself useful both in a practical and advice-giving sense, albeit in his own gruff way. Got to respect the man for that. And after all his hostility toward young Chesney since he took up with Katy, over the last few weeks he has really taken the lad under his wing just when he needed support the most. Again, got to respect the man for that.
Anna seems to like him, too, and I do love Anna, so maybe her liking of him is swaying me a little as well.
Fair play to you, Corrie. You've got me. Your tactics are working. Even though I've been aware the whole time of how deliberate the rehabilitation strategy has been, I have been unable to remain immune.
The question is, though, will the very grudging starting to like ever make it all the way to a full blown I really like this character now? Only time will tell.
Friday, 8 July 2011
You might also like...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Monday 28 September to Friday 2 October 2026 W...
-
Friday 25th September 2026 DEBBIE’S IN A DAZE AS EVA’S LIFE HANGS IN THE BALANCE As Nick and Toyah search for Sam, a disorientated Debbie a...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Monday 5 October to Friday 9 October 2026 Sall...
-
Wednesday 30th September 2026 THE NET CLOSES IN AROUND THE GUILTY The police take Carl in for questioning over the attack on Eva. Carl prote...
-
Thursday 1st October 2026 SOMEONE CONFESSES As someone overhears Ben telling Kevin that so far the police have no idea who attacked Eva, the...
-
This is all Nick's fault. If he'd just given Sam his phone back, none of it would've happened. In fact, why was poor old Sam...
-
Coronation Street reveals a dramatic showdown sparked by a dangerous love triangle. The teaser exposes the tensions at the Platts as a calcu...
-
Welcome. We open at Chariot Square Happy Hour where Izzy, Sean, Michael and Carla are enjoying a few drinks. Glenda comes in looking for D...
-
Thursday 24th September 2026 EVA FINDS HERSELF IN A BARREL OF TROUBLE Full of a cold, Eva sees Susie and Ben off for the audition in London....
-
This episode of the podcast covers the week of the 21st to the 25th September (Episodes #11,946 - #11,950). What a refreshingly watchable we...
