Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 4 July 2011

Leanne Barlow's dilemma


images7 150x150 Corrie Corner 3rd July 2011Dear Dr Jane,
I'm a bit worried. I hit 30 this week and my world's been shattered. I didn't think my husband had planned anything for my Birthday (and I ended up in the pub), but it turns out he DID have a surprise for me – my long-lost mother, who says she's been living only a few miles down the road from me my whole life but – I'm sorry – I just don't believe her. I reckon she must have lived somewhere else for at least some of that time, or why would she speak the way she does? On top of that, my other sister Toyah (who's my step-sister by the way), rang to say she'd missed her train from London and that she'd have arrived too late for my party, so wasn't coming now. I'd have thought they'd have had more than one train a day out of London, and as my party started at 6.00 (and would have gone on until at least 11.00 – with it being in a pub and all), you'd have reckoned she'd have caught the next one, wouldn't you? Besides, if she was coming all that way, surely she'd have been staying-over? Do you think she's hiding something from me too? Then my step-mum and dad didn't turn up either, so it was all a bit upsetting, but not half as upsetting as finding out that I've now got a proper half-sister too, especially as she looks way older than me. How did all this happen? I'm so confused, Dr Jane. What should I do? I can't even turn to drink (as it'll set my husband off again, and God knows where we'd be then). Are pills the answer?
Leanne

Dear Leanne,
This is a terrible situation, but I'm afraid there's not a lot I can do to help with this one. I suggest you face up to the fact that she's your mother, and be glad that you've got a real 'look' of her, and less of a look of your dad, and also that you look younger than your half-sister. There's always a silver lining there somewhere – if you look hard enough.
Give it time. Your mother's accent might improve (as will your relationship), over time, but I don't recommend taking pills. Swallow your pride instead, and get yourself round to a Factory-owning friend's flat and drink some good red wine – but not too much mind; not if you're thinking of becoming pregnant in the near future. Let your friend have the lion's share. I don't think she'll complain See how that goes, and make sure you have a mint on the way home so your husband doesn't smell in on your breath, or you'll find yourself pregnant sooner than you think.
Dr Jane.

PS I got a bit carried-away this week, so there's TWO other sections on the 'Corrie Corner' section of my blog! http://bit.ly/mR1QVz

6 comments:

Digger said...

Spot on - 30 seconds of online research (even assuming they didn't know) would have told writers that trains leave London for Manchester pretty much every half-hour ALL day, and the "missed train" excuse wouldn't hold up to passing scrutiny. At least give us a semblance of reality - Toyah could more realistically have been extremely busy somewhere near Bristol ordering clotting, Us, Es and LFTs.

Ffrosty the Snowman said...

Dear Leanne

I think you have to look at your mother as you will be in another 20 years time so this is a warning to you to go easy on the Botox or you will end up looking like an expressionless waxwork. Also a warning not to shout at Peter too often, even if he is being used as an emotional crutch by the friendless and on off alcoholic Mrs Gordon, or you will end up with a raspy weak little voice that cannot get above a few octaves.

Dr Frosty

Scott Willison said...

I wasn't surprised when Toyah didn't turn up - Junior Doctors are notoriously overworked.

Anonymous said...

The only dilemma is how to get rid of Michelle Collins and her family from Corrie. She's awful.

Please Corrie - do something about it.

Come on - as if her character and Les Battersby would ever have got together - can't you think of anything better.

Anonymous said...

Why on earth would Stella steal that picture of Leanne off the fridge......the real thing is right there Stella, not two seconds from the Rovers! The whole'gasp, horror' aspect of how Leanne found out was ridiculous.....and please Eve, do us a favour and move away...you are annoying beyond words!

Tiddsmom said...

What a great post!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!