Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 20 August 2020

Coronation Street Episode Review; Weds 19th of August 7.30 pm


For me, Abi's adoption of the twins, and farming them out to Australia, may raise a few more questions than it answers. However, guilt does tend to surface in the most peculiar ways, and hearing news of the twin’s imminent departure, Abi’s anxiousness at seeing them for one final time seems to manifest itself into a dangerous predicament at the garage which puts that final meeting in jeopardy! 
I think ‘Metal Guru’ by T REX blaring out on the radio might have been a little bit of foreshadowing! 

With one set of twins leaving the street, it’s nice to be reminded that Paul and Gemma (rarely seen together) are also twins and it’s soon to be their 30th birthday. Can Billy pull a surprise for boyfriend Paul, and is it nice to see these two back on screen? 



Gemma seems too busy to bothered anyway, her vlogging career is blooming, and the support group seems fulfilling. Is it just me that sensing something sinister with Vanessa? Paul, meanwhile, is gossiping about Sarah and Adam’s marital woes to Alina, and Sarah vents out her frustration to fellow Barlow babe, Carla. 


As I mentioned recently, the marriage of houses Barlow and Platt has been a masterstroke in plot development but it doesn’t half make this street seem more quasi incestuous than usual?! I think Adam may try to make his marriage work, but I’m thinking its all about revenge towards Gary, now? It’s all very interconnected just lately, isn’t it? At least Daniel has strayed outside of the street for his latest squeeze, it’s just a pity he’s paying for it, and literally. Is Nicky deliberately cooling it as Daniel is coming on too strong OR is she falling for him? 


With Abi’s accident meaning she’s trapped and unable to get out to see the twins, I assumed that Seb was going to find and save her. However, Peter’s heroic rescue, via Tyrone’s bizarre dressing gown scene, distracted me somewhat and proved to be a more than subtle reminder of the boat fire and this pair's short-lived romance. Is trouble on the cards just as Carla sang Peter’s praises to Sarah? 



Talking of which, and I don’t say this lightly, I love mad Mary and her hilarious views on life’s more mundane moments. However, I just didn't understand why she would gawp at Eileen’s mail and especially if it was from her son Todd, who’s been missing for a year or two? I think Sean may be a bad influence on her - that's all I'm saying on that subject!

What do you think? 

I am @rybazoxo your cobbles connoisseur - give us a follow on that twitter




All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

4 comments:

Pat said...

The fact that so many people distrust Vanessa must be down to all those stories and characters we’ve seen over the years that involve deceit, lies and manipulation. Maybe we need to have a few more decent trustworthy people on the street for the viewers to see.

CK said...

How could part of an engine block be teetering on the edge of the car? How did they even get it out without a winch? Why am I asking?

Anonymous said...

I love Abi, but the engine falling on top of her was almost as funny as the Christmas tree falling on Rita!
I found the scene with Tyrone to be as random as Shona magically appearing in last's week's episode to give Sarah some advice before quickly disappearing again! What was that all about?
I found a lot of things to be contrived in this episode, like Mary having a nosey at Eileen's post, the entire Abi stuff and Peter coming to her rescue (Yes, I definitely see an affair happening between these two. I actually think Abi and Peter are well suited, and Abi's a lot more fun and easy-going than Carla... Carla best watch out!)
The Gemma stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest, I don't know why it's even a storyline. It's just another ploy by the writers to make us like the character when most people can't stand her - and that goes for her whole family.
In answer to your question, no it wasn't nice to see Paul and Billy back on our screens. I'd forgotten they were even a couple given how little we see of them. They're so ill-matched, I can't wait for Todd to come back and shake things up.



Humpty Dumpty said...

I wondered whether garages are locked up while someone is working there alone - despite Kevin saying it was to stop Abi being bothered. Probably happens a lot in workshops but it seemed contrived. Dreadful contrivance that Mary would read the letter from Todd, and I was so surprised to see Shona that I forgot who she was at first.

I also like Peter and Abi together; think they would be good fun. Peter and Carla only really worked when they were star-crossed lovers, Peter being with Leanne at the time. As soon as they became a couple, they only came to life when they were going through a drama. Just doing normal living together stuff quickly became boring, and couples need to be able to do both, as Tim and Sally can.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!