Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 6 August 2020

Coronation Street Episode Review; Weds 5th August 7.30 pm


It certainly wouldn't be a Wednesday review, if I didn't start it by mentioning some sort of nasty incident involving Geoff. Dispatching Elaine's sim card in the gutter, I wonder if we're being led to believe that another murder has been committed in Weatherfield? I'm going to predict not, but he thinks he's got rid of her until the trial’s over I'd guess. I wonder if Faye will be safe or fall foul of her Grandfather's fearsome behaviour but then what about Tim? Can the son (who did not believe his Mum was his Mum) believe it when his wife denounces his father? I doubt we've got to that point in the story, just yet either. In his police interview with D.I Fringe (after a little chat with Sally & Alya) Geoff plays innocent over Elaine's sudden disappearance, but that lighting did him no favours at all. Corona has proved useful in certain drama’s and with the restaurant semi-closed, I think the darkness only heightened the tension. 
It is a pity though that ITV has to remind viewers that some scenes were (obviously) filmed pre corona at the start of tonight's show. I know why they do it, they have too, but it does make me question the general public & basic common sense! I am enjoying the subtlety of corona in the storylines, though. I can guess it's a polarised opinion but I think they’d have been daft not too!
Anyway, with last week's ginger ninja hit and run (and Maria's hilarious Morrissey soliloquy) Gary looked all but ready to run until Sarah's blackmail plot put paid to that and he declines to increase the factory rent, after all. What will Maria and Adam say about this and are we bothered? Sarah is though. I'm not normally one to quote Shakespeare but I'm thinking the lady does protest a when asked about her feelings for Gary. The houses of Barlow and Platt being joined by marriage is a fantastic cobbles juxtaposition, but has it got legs, long term? 
Leanne and Nick’s turmoil continues and those clouds continue to form over Oliver’s illness (even though it looked very sunny on the cobbles tonight) As a reminder to us viewers, Lea bumping into a former maternity group friend, lies and says Oliver is a bundle of health. Can you blame her? In light of this year's appalling real-life drama, this does seem less heavy in real terms. However, I think this storyline is leading to its climax during the 60th anniversary week, or will that be Geoff’s demise? 

I think I'll finish this review of how I started it. I reckon magician Geoff’s still got a few tricks up his sleeve and a maybe he's created the illusion that Elaine has just disappeared? 

What do you think? 

I am  @rybazoxo  your {self-styled} cobbles connoisseur  




All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely unrelated topic... but I do NOT like the new underworld set. It's like a labyrinth of rooms. I miss the old factory with its simple layout of machines and an office. Anyone else with me on this?

Humpty Dumpty said...

And another completely unrelated topic - When did Alya start calling Yasmeen 'Gran'? She used to use traditional names for her grandparents. Was it a deliberate move by writers to make the family more Weatherfield?

Anonymous said...

Humpty Dumpty,I believe that both Alya and Zeedan always called Yasmeen 'gran'[perhaps due to western influences?].
I also don't like the new Underworld set up,it's supposed to be a factory with an office not a office complex.
I apologise in advance if this may be offensive but I hope that neither Oliver's storyline or Gary's are the centerpiece of the 60th anniversary.
Gary's storyline has become tedious and I'm disappointed on how Rana's death due to Gary's sabotage is forgotten by the writers.
Oliver's storyline is also depressing as the writers backed themselves into a corner killing off Oliver and it's hard to watch knowing he'll die sooner rather than later.
I'm also disgusted with the Geoff\Yasmeen storyline becoming like Phelan's and I fear justice won't be served and Geoff will get away with it.

Anonymous said...

Something interesting in last night's Corrie...

Geoff has always insisted that he has only been married to Tess and has denied the existence of a Philippa Metcalfe. But when the police officer questioned Geoff about his arguing with woman she kept referring to his first wife as Philippa. She even asked him to confirm that "Philippa" was dead and that he hadn't argued with "Philippa" in the street, and he confirmed without correcting the name. I wonder if this was a trick by the police detective to get him to inadvertently admit his lies?

Anonymous said...

Alya and Zeedan have always called Yasmeen gran

maggie muggins said...

I'm another non-fan of the new factory design and layout, both. It totally lacks soul. Not to mention sewing machines.

Yes, to one of you many Anonymouses (so many of you!) - I also thought Officer Fringe was playing gotcha by naming Philippa during that questioning.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the factory just an order center now? Thus the offices and lack of sewing machines.

Anonymous said...

I really don't know what the factory is any more. I thought it was a packing centre but then they said they were making masks as a sideline which makes me think they're still sewing... it's so confusing. They shouldn't have messed with the factory tbh. The old design and setup worked. This new one doesn't. And half the street have a job there now but you never see them (Toyah, Alina etc).

Anonymous said...

I don't like the new "factory" either. We have Michael and Alina supposedly working there but all I have seen them do is gossip with each other. Sarah is one of the bosses which in my humble opinion is ridiculous she is not remotely qualified. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that it is a soap we are watching.

Simon Hayes Budgen said...

It's not that much of a stretch for Sarah to be working in the factory - didn't she work in the fashion industry when she was in Italy?

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!