Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 27 August 2020

Coronation Street Episode Review; Weds 26th August 7.30 pm


Nicky's cherry-picked sex worker compadre ‘Cherry’ may seem like the perfect new pervy playmate for Daniel, but he’s just not ‘feeling it’, and I know how he feels. Surely Sinead blonde-a-like Nicky is his best option here. Also, I’m assuming ‘Cherry’ is a call girl ‘nom de plume’ so is Nicky even her real name? I’m just putting that out there, unlike Daniel, who pays women to wear dead wife’s cardigans. I am of course being facetious because he’s still really grieving for the loss of Sinead.  
I’ve seen some online criticism that suggests people find it a bit creepy? I find it quite dark in a tragi-comedy sense. It's almost Alan Bennett in execution, and I must admit to enjoying it.


His brother Peter is also a Barlow in bother and has trouble convincing Carla that he's just helping his ex Abi, in her latest addiction battle. Does Peter protest too much? I hope not. I’d like to see Peter and Carla married, settled, and be a long-term Corrie couple but the chemistry between Abi and Barlow during the whole boat saga was hot in more ways than one ( I miss his subtle captain birdseye beard, actually) As Debbie Webster comes back on the scene, you get a sense of awkwardness between her and Abi, and things are suddenly looking ominous for Kev & Abi's relationship?
It's a fragility that also seems to be creeping up on Billy and Paul, too. 


Now we know that Todd has had clearance from the cops ( a convenient and out of character admittance from Craig but yeah OK) why hasn’t he come running back to the cobbles, I wonder? I’m not predicting anything at the minute but I can’t see it being a joyous affair, what with this weird mood that seems to have engulfed the street, or is that just me? 


Todd should ring Johnny before returning to the street, as I guess The Rovers boss is also wondering what he’s returned to and/or what for. Catching Peter and Abi in some (not entirely) innocent situ in the beer garden, he seems less than concerned about his own marriage troubles. I must also mention that having arrived back from France (and seeing as we’ve had plenty of COVID realism) he hasn’t even bothered mentioning or has ignored quarantine advice?! Bit weird to be honest. Facing the wrath of Jenny though ( I love it when she’s angry!) he fails to hide behind his faux ‘feeling out of sorts’ vibe and a scorned Jenny demands answers. Just what is he hiding from, in this strange Scott plot? 

Also in tonight’s episode, Gemma and Paul’s birthday shenanigans continued for (I can only assume) comedic purposes. A joke completely lost on me if I'm honest


To paraphrase Summer’s quip from tonight's episode ‘I’ve no idea what’s going on’. 

Have you? 



I am @rybazoxo your cobbles connoisseur 





All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have to give the show the benefit of the doubt with Johnny's quarantining; when they filmed his return there was no such thing for arrivals from France. Similarly the whole street should technically be in Greater Manchester's lockdown!

Anonymous said...

I hate how Peter’s taken it upon himself to interfere in other people’s lives when his own is far from perfect. He loves playing the white knight and riding to the rescue of a damsel in distress. I wonder if he would be so eager to help if Brian Packham were to suddenly develop a drug addiction? I very much doubt it. Secondly, when you’re in a relationship with someone you’ve cheated on in the past, you don’t lie to them. Him doing so will have raised all sorts of alarm bells for Carla. But instead of putting her mind at rest he proceeded to chat to Abi on the phone while Carla sat there looking deeply uncomfortable. Seriously, does Peter have no self-awareness? Grr!

Anonymous said...

Peter might be a serial cheat but there's a method to his cheating, he always upgrades (Leanne to Carla to Tina). Him picking Abi over Carla would be a downgrade so I think Carla can rest easy.

Anonymous said...

I have a theory that this stuff going on with Abi/Peter/ Carla will somehow tie in to the Johnny/Scott storyline. I think Johnny and Scott were drug dealers and Abi will come asking Scott for drugs or something.

Rapunzel said...

Anonymous 13:28 - I never saw Tina as an upgrade for Carla. She was young, pretty and available - and there’s no fool like an old fool going through a midlife crisis. But Peter threw away everything of value in his life when he took up with Tina. It was more a downward spiral than a step up.

dhvinyl said...

I’m still a bit spooked by Debbie. Keep expecting her to break out into “Sweet dreams are made of this “!

Anonymous said...

Peter's affair with Tina has to be one of the worst in soap history, along with Kevin Webster and Molly Dobbs! It made zero sense to me how Peter could even look twice at Tina when he had Carla for a wife. Hated that storyline, ruined a great couple, and turned Peter into a gross sleazeball. If Peter's got any sense, he'll steer well clear of Abi.

Tilly Flop said...

Haha. I thought I was the only one who thought that. Love it!

Anonymous said...

The dance with the annoying winter ensemble was beyond cringe worthy and just high lights all the more that Billy and Paul are a ridiculously ill matched couple.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!