Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 15 May 2022

Melanie Hill leaves Coronation Street


Coronation Street’s Melanie Hill is leaving the show as Cathy Matthews.

The actress told The Mirror that she made the “extremely emotional” decision to walk away after taking stock of her life, post-Covid.

Melanie said: “It’s not been an easy thing to decide. My family has been important but the pandemic has made a lot of people think about the future. It has changed a lot of things in my head. You’ve just got to see what’s important to you. I absolutely love everybody but it’s made me think about my family a lot and what the priorities are in my life.”

“I’ve been at my mum’s for two weeks and what’s nice is I’ve got the freedom to do that because soaps are pretty relentless. You never stop, really, and you’re always on call. My sister Samantha normally helps look after my mum but she is in hospital with a smashed leg. It’s lucky that I finished shooting just over two weeks ago so I’m here the whole time. If I was still working on Corrie, I would have been going out of my mind with worry. I cannot stand letting people down – and even if I’ve been ill, I would turn up for work. Now I don’t have to worry as much."

Glenda Young
Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook 







All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

9 comments:

Sharon boothroyd said...

Ahh, what a pity, but family comes first.
She's been great at Cathy - a real breath of fresh air and a good match for Brian.
Melanie's a truly talented actress.
I wish her all the best.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above comment about what a pity it is that Melanie is leaving.
In a way I'm not surprised as Brian and Cathy haven't been seen for a long while as the Street has become 'The Abi and Young People Show'as both Abi and the younger generation have dominated storylines.

Anonymous said...

I did love Cathy, but it's been a while since they gave her a decent storyline. We all understand that characters have to take their turn in the spotlight, but Corrie does seem to have a lot of background characters without storylines. Melanie was brilliant as Avaline Boswells, and she deserved so much more from the Corrie writers.

coconno196 said...

Yes. Melanie is a talented actress with varied experience and she has been wasted in Corrie. Good luck to her.

Anonymous said...

I will really miss Cathy, but she was so undervalued. I really wish the writers would realize that the bulk of their viewers are over 40 and involve more of the older characters in their storylines. If they continue with spotlightling only the youngest stars, they’ll begin to lose a lot of their viewing audience.

Anonymous said...

I'll be sorry to see her go. It would have been good if they had explored the obsessive hoarding thong further. I'm not sure we were ever told what happened to her house.

I hope Alex will still be appearing occasionally.

Anonymous said...

Completely agree!

Anonymous said...

Nail on head. They are aiming for the younger viewers by turning it into hollyoaks but young people are not intrested

Anonymous said...

Nothing against the actress, quite like her but shes been wasted in the show for a while now. Unlike the clasicc coronation st when the older characters got decent storys the show have turned the older characters into a joke now and seem to focus on teenagers

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!