Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 3 December 2022

Rob Mallard interview: Daniel gets drunk when Daisy has devastating news

 

Daniel and Daisy’s relationship is going well, so how does he feel when he sees the article published by Bethany Platt? Does it make him reassess his life?

In terms of his professional ambition it’s a wakeup call, seeing someone he viewed as a peer doing something he wanted to do almost makes him feel like he’s been left behind. She was someone he almost mentored so seeing her go on to do it and him not be doing it makes him take stock of where he’s at and what he’s been doing with his life since he stopped teaching, which isn’t very much. It sets off a competitive edge in him, where he thinks if she can do it then so can I.

How does Daisy react to the mention of Bethany?  

She’s very typically jealous, she never met Bethany, so she’s only got the Bethany that exists in her head, who will have 10x better everything than she could ever offer  because she’s never met her. It’s almost this fictional figure that she’s competing with and that triggers some of Daisy’s behaviour.

Should Daisy be worried?

No I don’t think so, Daniel doesn’t have a wandering eye, his values are very much focussed around family.

How do you think their relationship is going, are they moving in the direction of becoming a family of three?

Definitely, they’re living together now in the Barlows. When Daniel was living in the shrine to Sinead it was a block to them moving forward but now there’s the three of them living in the same room together it does feel like much more of a family unit. They’re definitely heading in the right direction.

So when Daisy reveals that she’s found a lump in her breast, what’s Daniel’s first reaction?

Not again! It’s his worst nightmare that it would either happen to him or someone else that he cares about. Then doubly worse this is someone that Bertie is growing closer to, a second chance of a mother figure for him and yet again this woman he loves might be struck down with cancer. It triggers all of the possible responses you might expect. It’s quite a selfish response, you think I’ve been through this once and I can’t do it again because you know what’s going to happen, you know what each of you are going to go through. When you’ve not been through it before it’s almost easier because you don’t know what’s round the corner but when you’ve been through it before and you know exactly what each step is going to be like, the knowledge of that is almost worse than going through it again and it just makes him what to run away.

Instead of opening up to Daisy about how he feels, Daniel doesn’t handle it very well does he?

He does something that all Barlows seem to do, he gets smashed. I believe it’s even a term, getting Barlowed! He doesn’t mean to, his plan is to meet her at the GP surgery but he’s so nervous he finds himself in the pub having a whiskey. Daniel’s a lightweight so he was thinking if I have something quite strong it should calm me down enough to handle it. But he keeps on going to the point where he’s obviously drunk. Then the thing that was supposed to give him courage ends up being another reason why he can’t turn up. He realises he’s too drunk to go so he ends up carrying on drinking in the gardens.

Daisy has to attend the appointment alone, then Daniel walks in in his drunken state and it doesn’t go down well does it?

At first he thinks he’s pulling it off, he’s had his little pep talk from Peter in the garden and he thinks he can do this, kind of forgetting how much he’s had to drink. He thinks he’s got his focus back, Peter’s told him he can do this but the fresh air combined with the alcohol makes it become one hundred per cent apparent that he’s had way too much to drink. 

How does Daisy react? Could this be the end of their relationship?

Possibly, she understandably tells him to leave, as you would after being embarrassed in such a serious situation. It’s not what she needs, he’s not stepped up for her. It’s a good indicator of how someone reacts under those kinds of pressures, and what they’ll be like in the future. It’s easy to talk about a what if and say I’d be there for you, I’d be strong, but it’s how someone reacts when the chips are down. So I do think she does take this as a character assessment of Daniel and goes maybe you’re not strong enough for me actually. 

If they were to break up would Daniel be gutted?

Yeah, he gets very much infatuated, he falls in love very quickly and very deeply, like he did with both Sinead and Bethany, then his infatuation with Nicky. I think the latter two were Sinead replacements but this with Daisy is different, she’s such a different person, a few years back the two characters would not have melded well but the experiences that Daniel has been through have changed him. He’s definitely a one woman guy and he does really love Daisy.   

Are you looking forward to Christmas? What do you have planned?

I’m looking forward to it, I’ll be at my parents house with all the family, it will be a big one. I think Christmas is for kids, when I see my nieces and nephews and I get to give them their presents and see how excited they are by everything and the fact they can eat chocolate for breakfast then that’s the magic of Christmas. 

Do you have any family traditions or a favourite part of Christmas Day?

We always all go to the pub together on Christmas Eve and then we play a lot of card games in the evening on Christmas Day. I put on my eating trousers on Christmas Day and one tradition is the only time I have a nap after a meal is on Christmas Day, it must be the Turkey.

What is your favourite part of the Christmas dinner?

It’s got to be the pigs in blankets.

What would you buy for Daniel for Christmas?

I would buy him a new satchel because he’s been dragging this satchel around for about three years now so I think he deserves a new one.

Do you have a memorable Christmas present?

I got given a big proper Yamaha keyboard when I was a kid. It was hidden in the kitchen. My mum had told me I was going to get a big surprise on Christmas morning and I was opening all my presents then I got to the last thing thinking that would be it but it was a small thing so I was trying to be really grateful thinking that was the surprise, then my mum told me to go and put the kettle on and there it was in the kitchen.

Do you do New Year’s resolutions and if so do you have one for 2023?

Mine are the same every year, I tell myself what I’m not going to do and then a few months in I’m doing it!


Glenda Young
Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook 






All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no not another gloomy issue cancer storyline?!
Can't anyone be just happy during the holidays?!

Anonymous said...

We can only hope it's a false alarm, just a way of testing their relationship.

Bobby Dazzler said...

I am hoping she consumes a lot of caffeine and it's just a lump and not cancer...I doubt if the PTB would put us through that again. They wouldn't would they?

Anon at 20:44...I'd like to see the gang in the Rovers singing a tune with ol' Rit leading them...just one more time before Corrie does the nosedive into oblivion.

Anonymous said...

Bobby Dazzler,I would love to see a Christmas sing along with Rita and some of the regulars too just like the old days.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!