Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 23 July 2020

Coronation Street Episode Review; Weds 22nd July 7.30 pm



To begin with, I thought that Daniel's behaviour with sex worker Nicky was sordid and salacious. As it transpires, he's still mourning for Sinead (me too pal, me too!) which is why he doesn't want more (ahem) bang for his money. Sniffing Sinead’s clothes whilst being held by Nicky, is so heartbreakingly sad and kudos to Corrie for diving deeper into the male grief process. I do wonder though if he’s going to come off worse (and not just financially) Saying that, I do like Nicky. Does she have future street resident potential, perhaps?


As an ex-radio DJ myself, I could forgive Geoff for filling dead air time with complete untruths,  but his brazen attempt to curry favour with the courts whilst live on air is classic Geoff behaviour and another dirty tricks campaign!. His latest fastidious falsities may hoodwink some but I doubt he will fool all of the cobbles residents for much longer. With Yasmeen's unexpected visitor revealing some more home truths ( I thought she was going to be Tim's Mum) Elaine seems to have finally convinced her of Geoff's behaviour and battle lines are drawn for the court showdown. Can Yasmeen finally be released or will Geoff's lies win the day?


Emma’s existential angst epiphany at her aunty Tina's unfortunate spice girls related demise is a light touch to the recent heavy cobbles drama (all the hallmarks of writer Jonathan Harvey)and I wonder if Emma is softening towards Seb what with his troubles with Abi and the twins? With Emma's mum living in Australia, maybe they could both visit together one day unless he gets back with Alina, that is? We haven't seen a love triangle for quite some time and a younger element could add an interesting angle? I can't imagine Abi’s pasta being up to much but I can see why he may have made himself scarce! 

Gary and Adam's confrontation has been about 2 weeks in the making and comes as no surprise. Aside from Adam's dubious relationship with Laura (is he about to cheat on his new wife?), Gary’s closeness to her daughter does at least have some sort of guilty conscience to it. Although Adam’s spot-on conclusion is a tad unbelievable, is this the beginning of the end for gangster Gary? I very much doubt it. I love the fact that he's turned into a version of his old nemesis Phelan, though. Could he bump a few more cobbles residents off in the process? I'd start with Geoff if I was him!

I am @rybazoxo your {self-styled} ‘cobbles connoisseur’  




All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Emma, Alina and Seb saga is so boring and monotonous.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Can't say I think much of Yasmeen's legal team. Have they thought about confirming whether Tim's mother is actually dead? If they can't find the death certificate, then she must be alive and perhaps living in the country. And if she is dead, the certificate might show whether she was bludgeoned to death.

Sue said...

It is bad enough having had Alya confronting Geoff with any tiny piece of evidence she might have against him but now we have Adam confronting Gary. Why doesn’t he just keep quiet until he has all the evidence he needs to bring him down.

Sharon boothroyd said...

There's supposed to be a twist about Elaine... I think Elaine wasn't involved with Geoff at all, because when Yasmeen asked how she knew Geoff, she didn't answer. I reckon Alya has chosen her to pretend she was - given her all of Yasmeen's details in order to convince Yasmeen to turn against Geoff. The instruction she gave: 'Get a self help book from the library' was quite specific, wasn't it? Why not suggest that Yasmeen chats to the prison chaplain or ask her to write in a personal journal as therapy? It's handy that the very limited prison library had a book in stock on this subject, isn't it? I'm pretty sure my small local library wouldn't have one!

Anonymous said...

Lately Corrie has gotten into the habit of introducing a storyline, resolving it within that episode, then never speaking of it again. Take the Baileys’ racism, for example. Or Carla and those blackmailers the other week. Do they even qualify as storylines?
What’s the point of introducing these plots if the show’s not willing to invest in them?
The pacing is all off in Corrie at the moment. I don’t think they can blame Covid for it either, because it was happening way before the pandemic hit.
Stop bombarding us with pointless plots and give us a proper storyline, preferably one that is character driven.
And that’s another thing that’s annoying me…
Why does the showrunner think we enjoy watching the likes of Seb and Alina over the likes of Carla and Peter?
Why are the lame characters like Gemma, Chesney and Gary always at the forefront and the good characters pushed into the background?
The only saving grace is that jiggle it Geoff’s story finally seems to be coming to an end (but I’ve said that before and been wrong).

coconno196 said...

Isn't Adam being rather foolish, accusing Gary of murder? All the folk who suspected Phelan got murdered themselves!

coconno196 said...

Even though "it's not about sex" I still find the Daniel/Nicky thing rather sleazy. Is he paying for a hotel room too? The family must have spent thousands on the grief retreat and now he is scrounging from them for this dubious therapy.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with cocono 196. I am sorry but I am disgusted by Daniel's behaviour! Where on earth is he getting the money to pay for hotels and sex trade workers? Obviously he is dumping Bertie on any relative that will have him. Seriously he needs a kick up the backside. Get his head out of his behind and look after his son like a proper father. Go back to work, put Bertie in proper child care and move out of that dumpy, depressing apartment.
I hope Beth and Ken find out what he is up to and give him what for. I am extremely disappointed in him.

Anonymous said...

Jeanie (anon): Yasmeen vs. Geoff:epic.

Seb, Alina, Emma: painful

But now I will never be able to enjoy my favourite book Jane Eyre without thinking of f---ing jiggle it Geoff. That is a sound and sight my mind cannot unwrite, so thank you Corronation Street!

Hard to believe the show could have such differences in acting and writing.

Sue said...

Jeanie-
What did I miss? Was there a reference to Jane Eyre in the programme?

Cobblestone said...

Sue: Yasmeen's 'Dear Reader, I married him' when Geoff accused her of never having loved him, was a (mis)quote from 'Jane Eyre'. The opening line of the final chapter is just 'Reader, I married him.' A little surprising for Yasmeen to have misquoted Charlotte Brontë (the writer, not the chicken).

Anonymous said...

Now I am intrigued - what radio station were you a DJ on?

coconno196 said...

Cobblestone: doubtless a misquote by the scriptwriter. But Shelley King should have corrected it, to be true to her character. It us a very well known quote.

Sue said...

Thanks for the explanation re Jane Eyre Cobblestone

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!