Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 2 July 2020

Coronation Street Episode Review; Weds 1st July 7.30 pm


Pinch, punch, first of the month! As June becomes July, we are now half-way through this appallingly atrocious 2020. It's almost ironic then that (although time-lagged) life on the cobbles is proving to be rather miserable too! 


Devastated by Oliver's diagnosis, Leanne is taking it out on everyone close to her, by unleashing devastatingly harsh diatribes. I’m still reeling from her takedown of Toyah on Monday night ( I love Toyah, she’s a flowery vegetarian, like myself) and now it seems, Simon is in the firing line! 


As I said last week, I think this Oliver storyline is definitely worth telling (unlike a lot of these issue-based trials and tribulations), but I remain unfazed by this additional fostering dilemma if I'm honest? It’s a nice sideline in drama may be, and we do need more Toyah on screen but it’s a bit miserable, isn’t it? I like Imran too but at least it begs the question that even if they can't foster right now, surely they can move out of that tardis flat? I mean, come on, Imran is a hot-shot lawyer, so why is he even tolerating this flatshare? Isn't Alya his sort of ex-sister-in-law and surely it's a conflict of interest if he’s handling Yasmeen’s case too? 


Simon seems to be reeling from the pressure of exams and an ill brother (sort of), but at least he’s still got Nick as a confidante. I wonder if this will cause friction between his Dad and Leanne’s longtime lover? Toyah takes it all her in stride though, doesn’t she? Bless her!


Unsure as to why Ty and Fiz think it's a bad thing turning into the Duckworth's but the monotonous drudgery of parenting/work/sleep/ repeat is certainly getting to them, and it seems Gemma and Chez are in the same boat! This date nights going to turn into a foursome at the rovers, isn’t it and who’s going to babysitting then? At least Jenny is back though, but (like I've been wondering for months, in fact).. Where has Johnny gone?? Is J & J’s relationship in A & E? I do wonder what the writers have planned for The Rovers, you know?

Over at Roy’s Rolls, Evelyn introduces love-interest Arthur to her pal Roy, and it seems the two share a bond in the love of steam engines! Yes, this is good news! As an enthusiast myself (don’t laugh) I'd love to see Roy and Arthur doing some trainspotting down at Victoria station or Piccadilly, maybe a Corrie double-header dedicated to all things train? No, probably but I'm hoping this will bring us some corrie comedy from Evelyn, please?... Hopefully? Maybe even Tyrone could do another Jack Duckworth impression? 

Come on, we need cheering up! 

I am @rybazoxo your {self-styled} ‘cobbles connoisseur’ if you’d like to send me a comedy tweet, I could do it with a laugh!   




All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice review, I agree with all the points you made.
What irks me is how the fostering thing's come out of the blue, no build up whatsoever. You can tell the writers panicked because they'd been called out on Toyah getting no screentime and were just like 'Here we go, a fostering storyline, that'll work!'
I think fostering/ adoption is a great s/l for Toyah but it all feels so rushed and contrived, like no thought's gone into it.
Also did I miss something, but what happened to Carla's storyline?? It can't be over surely? Odd we've seen nothing of her all week!

Sue said...

Are we at the stage now where episodes are just cobbled together out of bits of filming done pre lockdown? It all seems a bit disjointed with characters randomly disappearing or appearing in odd scenes.

Anonymous said...

I don't watch current episodes with all my attention but when did Chesney and Gemma acquire a stable door? I have to agree with Sue that the latest storylines look like offcuts stuck together in the hope nobody will notice the lack of continuity.

dhvinyl said...

Yes, I’d never noticed the stable door before....it’s come out of nowhere. Totally inappropriate for a city backstreet, or are we having Emma/Gemma (never can remember which is which...bit like Ali/Abi!j hanging over it chatting to passers by? After all, if Fizz and Tyrone are turning into Jack & Vera, EmGem and Ches could become Stan and Hilda.

Diane said...

Many months ago Gemma locked herself out of the house with the babies still inside and they had to break down the door to get in. That's when they got that new door

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!