Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 20 June 2022

Jodie Prenger joins Coronation Street as George's sister, Glenda

 

Corrie undertaker George Shuttleworth is currently struggling with the arrival of a blast from his past in the shape of former school bully Frank Bardsley.

But things are about to take a turn for the better for George when another familiar face arrives in Weatherfield - his sister Glenda, played by actress and singer Jodie Prenger.


Jodie has fulfilled a lifelong dream being cast as cruise performer Glenda, and this week began filming on the famous cobbles.

Glenda arrives on Coronation Street in early August, straight from a stint on the cruise ships and quickly finds her feet, and a job behind the bar of the Rovers.

Blackpool born Jodie found fame when she won the BBC Talent show  ‘I’d do Anything’ in 2008 going on to play Nancy in Oliver in the West End.

She has had a hugely successful theatre career playing Miss Hannigan in Annie and appearing in One Man Two Guvnors at the Haymarket Theatre in London. She took on the title role in the UK theatre tour of Shirley Valentine and more recently she played the lead role of Kelly in the world premiere of Kay Mellor’s Fat Friends the musical. Jodie also starred as Helen in the National Theatre Production of A Taste of Honey, a performance inspired by watching early episodes of Coronation Street. 

She will also be drawing on her cruise ship experience to play entertainer Glenda, as Jodie spent eight months in 2001 as one of four main entertainers in a team of 19 aboard the Disney Wonder. 
  
Producer Iain MacLeod said: “Glenda sails in fresh from the cruise ships with a whiff of the exotic, quickly making best friends and enemies in equal measure. The character is loads of fun and has echoes of classic Coronation Street females of old. Jodie is a fabulous talent and we are all very excited to have her aboard. She has felt very Corrie since the moment she stepped onto set and I think the viewers will love her.”

Jodie said: “I know I sound like a soppy sod, but it’s been on my bucket list to be in Coronation Street since I was little. It’s an honour, it truly is a very special moment in my life. To be part of something my family and I have loved for so long. And what a character, oh I have to say, total dream part. I can't wait for you all to meet fun and sassy Glenda, George Shuttleworth's sister. I love Tony Mawdsley already, what a fella! Your first day on the cobbles is one of the most nerve wrecking experiences you’ll go though and everyone was just so gloriously lovely, kind and welcoming.  It was, and is, everything I expected, and more.” 


Glenda Young
Twitter: @Flaming_Nora
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook 







All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

8 comments:

Charles said...

She sounds like a fun addition and I enjoy George and Eileen generally so giving them more to play off sounds good to me.

Now that Cathy's gone I'm thinking it would be good to get rid of some of the rest of the dead wood in the cast if they're going to be bringing in new characters. Personally I think the show could afford to lose Chesney and Gemma, Craig and Faye, Sean, and at least half the Baileys (Ronnie's actually the only one I really like and they've done nothing with him).

dhvinyl said...

Charles, I couldn’t agree more. Both Corrie and The Archers are suffering from vastly too many characters, most of whom add nothing. That said, Jodie Prenger will be a great addition.

Shaz said...

There's so many characters within corrie's existing cast who can barely get a storyline that it's odd that we're announcing new cast members on what feels like a weekly basis at the moment. Why have such a large cast if it's only going to be the same (tired) handful of characters who get the limelight.

All the best to Jodie, I'm sure she'll be a great addition, but corrie do need to start sharing out the storylines amongst their entire cast. You get attached to a character and then you don't see them for 6-10 months at a time and yet others you couldn't care less about (or did care at one time but are just so tired of their misery) are never off the screen.

What has happened? Corrie used to work storylines into each other with such ease, now each character has their blocked told storyline with little or no interaction with anyone outside of the characters needed to tell that storyline.

Humpty Dumpty said...

I agree with the above comments. I don't know Jodie Prenger but I like the look and sound of her. I really look forward to Jenny having a mate behind the bar and they could make a terrific double act. Both actresses have strong singing voices so perhaps we'll have Singers Night. Corrie works best when characters have an oppo to spar with. The women on Corrie especially thrive on having a best mate to confide in: Gail and Sally, Carla and Michelle along with all those female characters from the past. I even love the new character's name and hope the writers give Glenda a good storyline. She could be a good friend to Eileen and she might be the one who sorts Frank out.

coconno196 said...

I hardly need to say anything as you've all said it already. Am thrilled about Jodie Prenger joining the cast. And not just because I am from Blackpool too. She is believable as George's sister so I hope she stays for a good while. Doubtless she won't want to give up musical theatre entirely.
I also like Ronnie now, but he should be with Jenny. Can't see Leo lasting for long.

Anonymous said...

Charles I could not agree more. Time to cull the cast.
There are characters we haven't seen for months time to get rid. We haven't seen James Bailey for ages, Chesney and his lot need to move away.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add could the the powers that be please write Summer out. I cannot stand the character she is so tiresome.

Anonymous said...

Although I agree that the cast could be culled,I also wish that the writers would stop having members of the same families in storylines [usally the Platts and Barlows]at the same time!
So it's no wonder we don't get to see other characters.
George's sister seems to be a lot of fun and I hope that unlike Cathy and Brian,she's given a fair chance in storylines.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!