Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 22 April 2022

Coronation Street Episode Review;Wednesday 20th of April 8 pm


I shall start this review by laying my cards on the table; big Nicky fan, right here, but I also love Daisy. The blonde v brunette debate was a tricky decision in my dating days, but unlike dashing teacher Daniel, I never had two gorgeous girls jealous or vying for my attention! Is that Nicky’s real intention, is it just the teaching job, and therefore Daisy is just being her (slightly) villainous self? Either way, all very Corrie, and I’m enjoying it! We viewers, know of Nicky’s past career, helping Daniel fill a Sinead shaped void in his life, but Daisy did not, well, not until tonight. Like I say, I am a Daisy fan, and tonight she was in full fettle!



From her failed attempt at matchmaker, to finally finding out the truth, she was devilishly good at executing the green-eyed monster and playing the archetypal soap bunny boiler. Despite Jenny's warning, Daisy still did her best to get Nicky matched with that footballer, and with Ashley recognising Nicky from her previous day job, the plan fell unsurprisingly flat. Troubled by the truth of the sex worker's past, all Daisy needed was Beth and Kirk to confess Daniel's true history with Nicky, and she joined the dots up. However, that wasn't all, and her face at finding out the truth, following Daniel's heartfelt and tragic confession, was fantastic! A superb piece of Corrie right there, big shoutout to the writing team for penning that delicious dialogue. 



‘'Three men and one Summer'’ sounds like a rather quaint Richard Curtis rom-com film from the ’90s. Less saccharine and more ‘young female lead succumbs to diabetes and an eating disorder'. It’s hardly a comedy, and I’m no Barry Norman (the influence is more likely ‘three men and a little lady’) and I wonder if this blended family of Dad's is doing archdeacon, Billy, any justice? He’s a standout Corrie character for me, and yes, the teenage audience needs content too, but I’d prefer if it was solely about Billy and Summer. Monday's performances between those two actors were beautiful, sincere, and touching. Tonight sees Paul and Todd rally around Summer, and a pact of paternal protection is formed. I guess Roy is short-staffed, hence the archdeacon in an apron. Where is Alex Warner, by the way? Aside from her three dads, Summer seems to have Adii on her side at least, and following that Victoria Gardens scene between the two - I imagine it's not long before romance reignites. 



Todd is back in the plot, which meant we got to see George and Eileen back on screen! I’d forgotten all about their romance. Putting comedy into a funeral home is definitely in Corrie's lineage, and black comedy makes it even better. That 'little and large' gag did it for me. Eileen decides to cook a meal for George, empties N0.11 tardis of lodgers, and goes all Mexican with maracas. It was so good to see Eileen back in the show and as humorously deadpan as ever. Another rom-com inspired romance no doubt, and these two characters have a shed load of future potential. 



Tonight we also said goodbye to Laura Neelan. Missed it didn't you? Rick Neelan was more involved in the show's past, so I’m guessing that is why we had his spit-fest, fight, and presspack funeral, unlike Laura’s service, which had no screen time whatsoever! Outrageous! Here I am still wondering what type of cancer killed this young woman, what awareness I may need for the future, but hey ho, I’ll remember her, even if no one else does. Laura was a fab character. I hope Kelly can carry on some of her Mothers filterless opinionated outbursts. RIP Laura.  

 

The line of this episode goes to Tim Metcalfe, who, upon receiving a glass of squash from Elaine, replied with ‘Who am I - Dennis the Menace?’ I laughed out loud at that. Shame really then, that this Sally, Tim, Elaine 'Carry On Corrie' storyline isn't really hitting home for me. 

 

Elsewhere tonight - Imran gets that dodgy paralegal to spy on Abi and finds zero substance for his parental access plot.  


I am @rybazoxo your self-styled cobbles connoisseur







All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

6 comments:

C in Canada said...

I didn't like Daisy when she first came to the show, but her relationship with Daniel has brought out the better side of her, and I like her much better than Nicky.
Daniel should have been up front with her from the start.
I hope Nicky isn't trying to get her feet under Daniel's table, I didn't like her at all even when she appeared in the show before. The whole relationship was just weird, and her wanting to go from sex worker to teaching is also weird.
Who on earth thinks they could keep that a secret while working with kids!
I can just imagine the parent's concerns over that!

Anonymous said...

I have to ask (I'm a Canadian viewer) since when does Billy work in Roy's ?

popcorn said...

I rarely enjoy characters who are brought in merely to further along a story. However, I must say that the actress who plays Laura Neelan has been truly excellent. Kudos to the actress.

Bobby Dazzler said...

I am finding that I really dislike Imran...he's a cheating snake, who tried to hide the fact that he was a father while trying to adopt a young child with his soon to be??? He's rather nice looking and soft spoken, intellectual..but the guy's a dog. Toyah will get the baby and get rid of Imran after she adopts him///Big plan

Anonymous said...

He was only covering whilst Shona was away

Anonymous said...

This is what Corrie does when
A cast member is about leave. They totally change their character, so by the time they leave, you're glad to see the back of them

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!