Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 5 June 2024

The Women Behind Weatherfield - Gillian Walsh, Head of Makeup



Tell us a bit about your role, what’s a standard day like for you?

My name is Gillian and I am the hair and make up designer on Coronation Street. I see my main brief as bringing the characters on paper to life with hair, make up and special effects make up. I read the scripts in advance and plan the looks for the storylines which on a show like Corrie is very exciting as it can be a wedding one day and a car crash the next. I shop for the character make up and then with my large team plan how each week’s worth of episodes are going to be filmed by my supervisors and their teams. I also like to think of myself as the mother of the room, keeping spirits up, the music playing and importantly the cast calm and happy before set. 

How did you get started in the industry?

I studied media make up and hairdressing at college after being a dancer in a touring production previously and falling in love with the artistry of wigs and make up behind the scenes. My first job was a make-up trainee for a BBC3 production straight out of college. I believe my touring and determination set me on this path quickly, lots of hard work and a little bit of luck. 

How long have you been at Coronation Street and what is it that keeps you here?

I have been the head of the hair and make up team for 2 years but I have now spent half my life in Weatherfield’s make up department finishing off my training at Granada TV and spending 11 great years as a member of the team. I’m Salford born and bred, two streets away from where Tony Warren lived, the characters of this fictional town are in my blood, I know these women and it’s this environment I thrive the most in. To be back now as the head of the team really is a dream come true and my mum’s I think! A full circle moment. 

What’s your favourite thing about working at Coronation Street?

My favourite thing about working on Coronation Street is the people. The cast and the crew and the camaraderie. At any one time we can be filming 6 weeks worth of episodes with plenty more in pre production so feeling like a family is crucial. 

What does it mean to you as a woman to be working in the industry and seeing so many other women in high profile roles?

Women in general throughout production history have always been less likely to pursue careers in this field due to the unsociable and unstructured hours. Finding a work life balance is and always will be a struggle and therefore gender bias has played its part. In my 20 years filming I can see changes in the industry and new attitudes towards working mothers with job shares, working from home and more flexibility shown. The stories being told now are getting more diverse with female filmmakers from script paper to post production. I’m surrounded by hugely talented and supportive women on Coronation Street and I’m very proud to be a women behind Weatherfield 

Glenda Young
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook 

No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!