Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 12 September 2023

Coronation Street's bullying story for Dylan with new character Mason

  


Coronation Street is set to tackle the issue of bullying at school in a new storyline which will unfold this autumn.

Manchester actor Luca Toolan joins the cast as Weatherfield High’s Year 11 bad boy Mason. 

We were first introduced to Mason as one of the students who was making fun of Ruby Dobbs which led to Hope confronting Mason, Dylan and Liam (Monday 11th September). 

It doesn’t stop there though as things are set to get worse when Mason quickly takes Dylan Wilson, played by Liam McCheyne, under his wing and targets Liam Connor as their new victim.

Will Dylan realise how dangerous Mason’s influence is before it’s too late? 

In the coming months, Mason’s torment of Liam will escalate, setting not only the pupils but the parents against each other with Sean, Maria and Gary pointing the finger of blame at each other's sons. 


Luca Toolan, aged 19, plays Mason: 

Firstly, how are you enjoying your time on Coronation Street? 

It really is amazing. I feel very lucky because I've had Liam with me and he's been like an older brother to me, even though he's actually younger than me. He's such a nice dude and he's really walked me through everything, showed me where the teas are and the cups and what have you, and he's made it a lot easier. If I was going in on a storyline by myself, I feel like it'd be a lot more daunting, but everybody's so nice. I didn't know what to expect, but everybody's genuinely lovely. 

How did you get the part? 

My agent sent me through the self-tape - a self-tape for people that don’t know is just recording yourself at home with your phone. When I submitted it, they liked it and then I got asked to go for a recall and screen test, which I did with Liam. The first time being on the set of Coronation Street was crazy for me. I grew up watching this as a kid, so it’s surreal when you’re in something that you’ve watched for a long time.  

How did you feel when you got the part? 

I was elated! It was such a difficult day because my dog had died in the morning and I'd literally been at the vet crying whilst putting them down. A few hours later we went out for a pub lunch to cheer us up and my agent called me and said “I've got some good news” As soon as she said that I knew it. Corrie has always been on my horizon, I’ve always said I wanted to be in it and then when they finally tell you that you’ve got the part, it was insane.

Who did you tell first when you got the part? 

First thing I did was rang my dad. I didn't actually tell anybody about anything, not even the first self-tape, because I'm very superstitious. I also didn't tell him about the screen test so he was surprised. Obviously he knows I'm into acting, but he was like, “what? What do you mean?” Because usually I tell him about all my auditions, and this was the first one I didn't. He was just in complete shock. He knows how much of a big deal it is and understands how lucky I am to be in the position that I am. 
I also rang my Grandma as she is a massive Corrie fan, she didn’t believe it and thought I was pulling her leg! 

Did you have any other acting experience before Corrie? 

I do a little bit but this is my first proper TV job. I did loads of short films just to understand the skills I might need on screen. Since I have joined Coronation Street, I'm already learning so much. 

So what did you think when you found out about your character? 

Well, obviously I had a little bit of insight into the character from the self-tape but all I really knew was that he is a bad guy. I found out about the extent of the storyline on my first day through Liam and Charlie as they were given a lowdown as to what’s happening. They told me it was going to get dark. It’s exciting to be here but there’s also more pressure and responsibility to do this storyline justice. 

What advice would you like to give Mason? 

Go to therapy, mate! He's a very angry and disturbed soul. People are like that for reasons. Hopefully in the future, we might be able to explore a little bit more of why he's become the way he's become. But the advice I would give to him is go to therapy and get the help that he needs. 

Would you be friends with your character in real life? 

No! He’s a lunatic. I would stay away from people like Mason. 

How do you find playing a character like Mason? 

It's fun, It is. I think because I'm so close with Liam and Charlie, it's a lot easier. if I wasn't really close with them and I didn't spend as much time with them, I’d probably find it more difficult  but because we have that bond and trust each other so much, it's a lot easier. My favourite film is The Joker, so I like looking at characters that are damaged. One thing I really want to do with a character is show the vulnerable side. So there's a lot of room and a very high ceiling for the exploration of the character.

How do you switch off from portraying a character like Mason? 

I think because when you're doing it, it’s so intense that by the time you finish, you're knackered, so you leave it all on set and don’t really take anything home with you. I love going home and spending time with my family to switch off.  

Lastly, what do you love about Coronation Street? 

It really just feels like a family, everybody's so nice. Obviously, it's based in Manchester as well which is where I'm from - Corrie is the fabric of Manchester. The food is also amazing. Everyone's so supportive - It's such a collaborative thing and just a perfect place to work.

Glenda Young
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook 






All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fed up of all these teenage angst/ bullying stories.

Fluttershy said...

The show does think it's Hollyoaks at times. Nice to see they remembered Dylan and Liam actually exist at last. Now if only they could remember where they left Jake Windass...

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!