Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 13 March 2022

Tina O'Brien on Feuding Families and Corrie Magic

They were discussing having another bun in the metaphorical oven only weeks ago but Corrie's Adam Barlow recently surprised wife Sarah with an actual oven, much to her dismay. Sarah's disappointment reached new lows last week though as shifty newcomer Lydia exposed her 'affair' with the reformed love rat.

The Blog chatted with actor Tina O'Brien to discuss her thoughts on the storyline, the public's reaction, and what it's like being part of an iconic Corrie family.



Lydia's unleashed hell on Sarah's life. And all this after oven gate!


I think an oven as a present...I'm not sure, I wouldn’t like a present of an oven, it's a home appliance! I do know some people actually disagreed and it was interesting because on set it really got a conversation going.


It was based on actually a true story. I won't say who, but somebody who works on Corrie. This is where this came from. Somebody did that for their wife, and then it obviously didn't go down very well. That's how it ended up in the story. But anyway, yes,  Sarah's felt a little bit like, oh my gosh, does he…does he just not get me? So there's I think there's been little things that have been niggling away and then and Lydia very cleverly sowing little tiny seeds about a man that she's been seeing and that he's married.


Before the serious stuff…what's the worst present you've ever received?


I got a tea making machine.  I can't say too much as it will give away who it was! But the tea making machine was the same tea making machine that was at work. So it's like, look, you can have the same tea, you put the pod in and you have the same cup of tea at home as you do at work and I was like, oh no!

Back to the storyline. Sarah must feel hugely betrayed and humiliated, given that Lydia had become a friend.


Oh God, this is horrendous. I mean, it's the worst betrayal. She's devastated.



Adam continues to plead his innocence, do you think she starts to have second thoughts about her decision to leave him?

Yeah, I do. She absolutely loves him, and I think she wants to believe that what he's saying is the truth. Unfortunately, I think the evidence is so heavy that she's doubting herself, she's in a really tough place in the fact that she doesn't know what to believe and the evidence is there. And I think that's why even though Adam stayed true to what is the truth, she says look at all this evidence!

Is there anyone else other than Adam who’s starting to see through Lydia, a person that Sarah might listen to?

Yeah, interestingly, Carla. I think Carla has reservations about the whole situation and something doesn't sit right with her. And she just tries to say to Sarah, look, I'm not sure you should, you know, buy into this idea at all.

And how does Sarah react to that? The idea that Lydia can't be trusted? Does it make her stop and think a little bit?

Yes, it does. It makes her question whether she's doing the right thing. She's she's been very adamant that she doesn't want Adam around her son, Harry. And after that conversation with Carla, she realises that it's not fair. It's not fair to take it out on her child. It's not fair to take it out on Adam either. They still need to have a relationship.

Would Sarah and Carla ever become friends?

I think Sarah’s a little bit in awe of Carla. It’s a tricky dynamic. Carla is strong and powerful. I don’t know if Sarah will ever fully trust her. I think overall they are definitely heading towards a sort of friendship.

Do you think Sarah eventually will find out the truth and how will she react?

Sarah can be quite feisty. In the past, if anybody's kicked off with her daughter, she's she's straight in there like a rotweiller she, you know, she can be very Mummy Bear. But I’m not sure Lydia would be in any danger from Sarah. She’d be more upset and scared.

But Adam ends up in hospital…

She’s very concerned and very worried, but it sounds quite heartless her response is…it’s not my problem any more.

The plot’s a bit ‘Fatal Attraction’ - have you had members of the public coming up to you trying to tell you what’s going on!?

Not yet, but in the next couple of weeks I’m sure I will!

What’s it like being part of the ‘Platt’ family?

When we all get to work together, for me personally it feels like something magic. I feel like we are a little family. Especially when we’ve got Sue Nicholls playing Audrey and all the team together. Hopefully now coming out of Covid we get to do some of those scenes again. It’s just magic.



The feuding Platts and Barlows is great to watch…

I absolutely love it. And of course Max is there stirring it! It’s very clever, they are the two big families of the street so it’s very Monatgue and Capulet.

Corrie's on at a new time. Read more HERE.


@StevieDawson







All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!