Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 23 January 2024

Matt Milburn interview: Tommy Orpington returns - and falls for Tracy Barlow




So the legend that is Tommy Orpington is back, how did it feel to get the call? Were you surprised? Happy to be back?

I was absolutely thrilled. Initially, I was taken aback but obviously over the moon because it’s something I’ve wanted for years. I’ve played Tommy intermittently since 2016 so to be told that I was going to be coming back and given something far more substantial, I was delighted. Tommy is the perfect character for me to play because I love football and he’s a famous northern footballer. It’s great to be back! 

Tommy’s found a bit of cult status over the years, what is it that you think people love about him?

I think there’s a few things that make people love him and it’s similar to how I view my own heroes. I’m a big Manchester United fan and Tommy is a local footballing hero who everyone identifies with football. He’s also from humble beginnings and he has managed to maintain that. His relationship with some of the really popular characters in the show definitely helps too. I think people love the loyal side of Tommy because he stayed loyal to Weatherfield County. He’s just a normal guy who has done well and stayed true to himself. 

Are you looking forward to finding out a bit more about him? And seeing him with some different characters?

Yeah, absolutely. Now that I’m coming in for a longer period of time, I’ve got more information about Tommy than I have ever had previously and more of a backstory, which as an actor is great because it gives you a more rounded feeling of the character. It’s always fun to build a character, which is probably my favourite thing about acting, so I’m really enjoying that process. Obviously interacting with more characters is exciting. When I realised I would be working with Mary, I was really excited because that’s my mum’s favourite character. 

How has life been for Tommy since we last saw him?

He’s been on a bit of a rollercoaster in a few ways. Obviously he’s finished his football career and has had to transition into what would be deemed as a normal life which can be difficult but actually, he’s welcomed the change and it hasn’t affected him in a negative way. He’s a painter and decorator now and understands that he’s got to get by and earn a living which he’s humble about and definitely not ashamed of. He’s also divorced now so it’s been up and down for him but he remains positive and is embracing what’s to come. 

There’s an instant attraction with one lady, tell us a bit about his feelings for Tracy, does it catch him off guard?

It definitely catches him off guard. I think he feels a little bit scorned by relationships generally. He’s not got any ill feelings towards his ex-wife but I think his feelings towards long term relationships as a whole is something he’s not convinced by. He had no desire to meet someone and I’m not really sure if he’s ready for dating, so meeting someone like Tracy who is married for a start, is not an ideal scenario. 

What is it about Tracy that draws Tommy to her?

I think he likes her sparky nature, her quick retorts and her banter is very sharp. He likes being kept on his toes. She’s not an easy target in ways. I just think that they seem to have this chemistry between them that none of them see coming. Maybe because she’s off the menu, that unconsciously attracts him more.  

Does he feel guilty knowing she’s married to Steve?

I think his view on relationships is probably anti long-term relationships and he believes monogamy isn’t the way forward. He does feel guilty because he likes Steve and he’s definitely not out to hurt anyone but at the same time, the guilt isn’t driving him under the ground either. He’s not the one that’s married so I suppose he doesn’t carry the majority of the guilt. 

Is he looking for a relationship or just a bit of no strings fun?

100% it’s no strings fun. That is his only outlook on women at the minute. 

When Steve comes to the flower shop and catches them in there, is Tommy worried?

He’s worried but mainly about the commotion. He doesn’t want the whole fuss about the situation but he’s definitely not physically threatened or worried by Steve, he just doesn’t want the drama. 

Is it fun to be back working with Simon Gregson and Joe Duttine? Do you enjoy that comedy element?

It is amazing. Everyday is just fun. There is a ying and a yang to it because they are so professional and bring stuff to life that isn’t even necessarily on the script so I’m learning a lot from working with them. But obviously with me being the straighter character within the group, I need to not laugh which is such a good battle and I’m loving it. They’re two really great lads and really good at what they do.

Did you ever think we’d see Tommy here 7 years down the line after you came in for a handful of episodes?

I only came in for around three or four episodes initially and over the years it’s only been bits and bobs of similar and doing celebrity appearances so it’s never been beyond 4 or 5 episodes. I always hoped it would turn into something because in my mind, I back myself and have always wanted to be on the show. But it was still such a surprise to get the call, a really happy surprise!  

Would you like to see him sticking around?

100% vote Tommy! Yeah, I’d love to. Like I say, we've always been massive fans of the show in my household, growing up with it and my mum still watches every episode. I’d love to stick around, it’s the perfect job. There’s really good chemistry between Tommy and Tracy, I could see them sticking around together. But who knows… 

Anyone else on the cast you’d particularly like to work with?

It’s such a talented cast. With Tommy being a painter and decorator it gives him the scope to touch base with all different characters. It’s such an eclectic, colourful bunch of characters on Coronation Street I’d love to work with everyone and I mean that genuinely - everyone and anyone! 

Glenda Young
Fancy writing a guest blog post for us? All details here!  
Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook 

No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!