There's a wonderful interview with Amanda Barrie, who played the fab Alma Baldwin in Coronation Street, in the Daily Record.
In it, Amanda talks about coming out when she was in her 60s, and how she kept her sexuality a secret while she worked at Coronation Street for fear of her job.
She says: “I did my autobiography(*) when I came out of Corrie. I did it because I was being hounded by people asking about my sexuality, which had always been a confusion to me, never mind anyone else.
“I did the book because I thought, ‘I’m putting my side of how it is’. I wanted it off my chest. It had caused a tremendous amount of anxiety throughout all my life. I was so terrified about coming out because it’s more complicated than that.”
“If you did it now, nobody would even notice. But, at the time, nobody at Coronation Street – apart from my very close friends Helen Worth, Sue Nicholls and Barbara Knox – knew about me. I was terrified as there was an attitude then that certain people wouldn’t have worked with you. It was taboo. Now, it’s running thick with gay, camp people and gay women and gay men.”
Amanda joined Coronation Street as Alma Sedgewick in 1981. When she decided to leave after 20 years, Alma was killed off, quickly, with cervical cancer.
She went on to appear in ITV’s Bad Girls and BBC 1’s Holby City but says she still misses Weatherfield.
She said: “I’ve no regrets over leaving as I got offered a part in Bad Girls. But I have dream after dream where I’m back in it.”
Read the full interview here.
(*) Amanda Barrie's autobiography 'It's Not a Rehearsal' is a fantastic read, by far my favourite of all the Coronation Street actors' books I've ever read.
Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter | Download our free App | Visit Corrie.net
Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License
Monday, 8 August 2016
Amanda Barrie on Alma, sexuality and dreaming of a Corrie return
Labels:
alma baldwin,
amanda barrie,
newsnow
You might also like...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Monday 28 September to Friday 2 October 2026 W...
-
Thursday 1st October 2026 SOMEONE CONFESSES As someone overhears Ben telling Kevin that so far the police have no idea who attacked Eva, the...
-
Wednesday 30th September 2026 THE NET CLOSES IN AROUND THE GUILTY The police take Carl in for questioning over the attack on Eva. Carl prote...
-
Friday 2nd October 2026 CHRISTINA SEES THE DAUGHTER SHE NEVER HAD Sally and Lucy call at the undertakers to order Rachel’s plaque. Sally pr...
-
This is all Nick's fault. If he'd just given Sam his phone back, none of it would've happened. In fact, why was poor old Sam...
-
Here are the major storylines for the week ahead on Coronation Street, all wrapped up nicely. Monday 5 October to Friday 9 October 2026 Sall...
-
Friday 25th September 2026 DEBBIE’S IN A DAZE AS EVA’S LIFE HANGS IN THE BALANCE As Nick and Toyah search for Sam, a disorientated Debbie a...
-
Welcome. We open at Chariot Square Happy Hour where Izzy, Sean, Michael and Carla are enjoying a few drinks. Glenda comes in looking for D...
-
This episode of the podcast covers the week of the 21st to the 25th September (Episodes #11,946 - #11,950). What a refreshingly watchable we...
-
Coronation Street reveals a dramatic showdown sparked by a dangerous love triangle. The teaser exposes the tensions at the Platts as a calcu...

