Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 20 May 2022

Will Kevin Help Abi Flee Weatherfield? Corrie Blog interviews Michael Le Vell



Kevin Webster has reeled in revelations recently regarding his estranged wife Abi, yet still harbours the thought of possible reconciliation between them. Even though Kevin found out that Imran fathered her baby, it would seem that he still wants Abi back, and is determined to help her keep baby Alfie, regardless of the consequences.


Will Kevin follow his heart and ultimately reunite with his wife, or will he play it safe to protect himself and his son Jack? 


In his 39th(!) year on Coronation Street, it was a huge honour to attend a Corrie zoom press event to chat with Michael Le Vell, to learn about his latest storyline. 


Hi Michael! The relationship between Kevin and Abi is something a lot of viewers have warmed to. Do you think that Kevin has ever regretted getting involved with Abi? 


You know what, not one bit! I think she’s brought out a different dimension to him. She’s exciting to him, he doesn't know what he’s going to get from one day to the next. It keeps him on his toes. 



What does Kevin see in Abi? Sally Carman says that Abi has a huge heart. Do you think Kevin would agree with that? 


Yes, I think he sees that and he always sees the flaws in her as well. No one is perfect, but he loves her. When you love someone you see through their faults, and love them, despite those faults. If Kevin ever falls on hard times, he knows Abi would be there for him, regardless. 


Most people would simply walk away, if Abi did to them, what she did to Kevin. Yet, this week, he offers to help her run off with Alfie. On that basis, does he feel that Abi has it in her to be a good Mother? 


He knows 100%. He’s seen the regret she has over losing the twins, and then what happened with Seb. He knows she’s got it in her to be a good Mum! Kev’s not been perfect in the past either, so maybe he needs to eat humble pie and be there for her. 



Next year is your 40th anniversary on the show, and here you are at the centre of another huge storyline. Do you still enjoy playing Kevin after this time? 


I love it - absolutely love it! I get different scripts every week and I've been blessed with the actors that I've been put with - it makes a job a lot easier. Working with Sally Dynevor, Sally Carman, and Joe Duttine is not like coming to work at all. I've been blessed with the people around me.



During your time on the show, Kevin has been involved in several huge storylines. Do you feel proud to be involved in another vast Corrie soap week? 


Oh yeah, I'm always proud. It doesn't matter what script you get, it's such an honour to be part of the show and the fact they are still using me, gives you good faith in yourself. I just want to do my best, so that viewers like it. 



Did you ever imagine, when you started playing Kevin Webster, that you’d still be in the role nearly forty years later?  


No, I came in as 'Neil Grimshaw' first, one of Rita’s paperboys, for a few episodes, and then a producer, Judy Hayfield, when that finished, she said they’d find something else for me. I wasn't booked for Kevin Webster, I was in the corridor waiting to audition for a programme called ‘Scully’ and Judy H walked past and asked if I was auditioning for Kevin Webster. I said no, she said to leave it with me. I came back the next day, auditioned, and got the job, which was twelve episodes. I then finished those twelve episodes, went off and did panto at Oldham Collissuem, and then got asked back to Coronation Street. That was nearly forty years ago! 



Are there any highlights that stand out for you from those forty years? 


It's funny actually, two people came up to me in a supermarket the other day, and they'd been watching classic corrie, an episode where Kevin and Alison lost their baby. It was a scene with Sally when Kevin breaks down and he has a line saying 'what am I supposed to do with all of that love, now the baby has been taken away?' and it was emotional stuff. It reminded me of that moment and it always comes back to me. I love doing the strong storylines with the emotional stuff, like when Sally had to tell Kevin that she had breast cancer. Then there are the scenes, like moving in with Hilda Ogden, even though Hilda hated Sally at the beginning. There have been so many, like saving Bet from the fire at the rovers, and acting in the tram crash live episodes too. Lots of happy times!



You’ve played the character for nearly 40 years. How similar are you and Kevin Webster? 


Very similar, yes. You cant play a character for nearly 40 years and some of your personality not come through. It's not like playing a different character every week, your playing the same person. I've been Kevin Webster for nearly as long as I’ve been Michael Le Vell! I was only 18 when I joined the show.    


Bill Roache who plays Ken Barlow just turned 90 years young, and said he’d be happy to be on the show until he’s at least 100. Could you see yourself playing Kevin at that age? 


Well, it's a nice thought. As long as you can keep remembering your lines, where you work, and getting there every day, why not. That's the thing with our job, you don't have to retire aged 65 as they still want older characters. You don't retire from acting, acting retires you. If I'm still here in 37 years, I'd be happy to still do it!


What an amazing privilege to be sat in a press chat with a true Coronation Street legend. I’ve actually met Michael Le Vell in real life, and on the street set itself (humble brag) and I can assure you, he did remind me of Kevin Webster!


Kevin is obviously still besotted with Abi, married to her, and willing to help her with baby Alfie, but will he risk Jack’s future, too? This story is part of Corrie's BIG SOAP WEEK, with its own shiny trailer, so keep your eye on this blog for more cast interviews, backstage gossip, episode reviews, and storyline previews, ahead of this explosive Coronation Street week! 

                                        

I am @rybazoxo your Cobbles connoisseur and Coronation Street superfan. 







All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!