Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 13 August 2020

Coronation Street Episode Review; Weds 12th of August 7.30 pm


As a vegetarian myself, I found Steve's silly sausage scene on Monday night's episode, a bit tasteless, if I’m honest. Feeling the strain of Oliver's illness he may be, but manifesting itself as some tirade against veganism...not for me, I’m afraid. Also upsetting the lovely Nina's non-threatening demeanour, I found it a tad too try-hard in conveying the desirable raw emotion, or was it misfiring humour?. We know Steve has suffered depression in the past, and even after Leanne smoothes things over with him, I predict Steve’s ‘black dog’ will make a return? It’s not a comment I write lightly, I’ve had it myself, but that’s what I predict. As always, it was great to see Toyah helping out her Sister, just a shame she wasn’t at Roy’s when Steve was kicking-off! I do like Toyah. 

Is that engraved watch a better villain than Geoff? What with all the drama its caused, I was wondering how soon it would be before the timepiece ‘disappears’ and Sarah seems to have disposed of it. I’m guessing that’s not the last we will see of it, just like Elaine? 


In the meantime, Adam demands the truth from his new wife and again I’m left wondering if this marriage is a plot convenience in the ‘Gary’s a murderer’ arc rather than anything long-haul? I mean, they’ve been together 5 minutes, she’s covered up Rick’s murder, fawned over Gary, and he fancies that Laura. Tell me I’m wrong? 


It’s a modern storyline of course but as a father of one myself, I don’t know how Gemma finds the time to vlog on social media as a mother of quads! Anyway, she’s contacted by a fan and it transpires its bully Vanessa from the ‘baby senses’ class who's fallen on hard times. Our Gemma is a lonely soul in the adult world (it’s a shame Rosie Webster is still off-screen, they were a great pairing) so surely she needs an adult for company, that’s not Chesney!


You thought I’d forgotten didn’t you, eh? I’ve not mentioned gaslighting ghastly Geoff in this review yet, so here it is. Alya’s barnstorming to the darkened speed daal and letting Geoff know she's got Sally’s cash to buy him out was quite good. His little face! Is Alya about to get one up on him or will Sally’s meddling put her in the firing line with her father-in-law? It’s has been threatened hasn’t it, and unlike Steve, I doubt Geoff would need sausages to point!

What do you think? 

I am @rybazoxo your {self-styled} cobbles connoisseur  




All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ve been saying from the start that Adam and Sarah are nothing more than a plot device. Zero effort has gone into them as a couple. They’ve had a whirlwind romance, dating one minute, married the next. And now only a few months into married life, they’re already lying to each other, Adam’s flirting with other women, Sarah’s hung up over Gary, and the marriage is hanging by a thread.
But the question is, who cares? I sure don’t. If the show wanted me to care about this couple then they should have given me a reason to.
The same can be said for Gary and Maria. Again, they’re only together for the sake of the plot, there’s no real depth to the relationship.
But what makes this worse is that now most of the drama is centring around these relationships and the show wants us to be invested in the outcome and yet we’re not because none of these relationships hold any weight.
Corrie really needs to start putting more effort into its couples. Sarah and Adam, Billy and Paul, Maria and Gary, Gemma and Chesney, Tyrone and Fizz, Abi and Kevin, Tracy and Steve… couldn't care less about any of them. I’ve even started to go off Sally and Dim Tim who I used to really like. The only couple I'm remotely invested in is Carla and Peter but that could be me yearning for what they used to be rather than what they are now, because again, the show has put them on the backburner.
Corrie’s had a lot of legendary couples from Ken and Deirdre to Roy and Hayley. Who out of the current crop would you class as legendary?

Laura B said...

I agree with the above completely!

Anonymous said...

Agree with anon. Corrie puts no effort into its couple. Couples don't stay together longer than five minutes before they cheat or break up so it's hard to get invested. Part of the problem is we never see couples going about their day to day lives, those lighthearted and romantic moments are never shown.
Abi and Kev are a great example. Since getting together they've gone radio silent. Same for Carla and Peter, who have potential to be legendary if only the writers gave them half a chance. And for the love of God, someone tell me what Tracy's sees in Steve MacDonald cos I'll never understand. She's better off alone or with Carla's brother Rob. Steve's behaviour was embarassing this week... was it meant to be funny or serious? I can't tell which is worse.

Humpty Dumpty said...

I totally agree with the above comments. Corrie used to be about the Street and the community who lived there. Then they started having family dynasties: the Barlows and Platts, who seemed to have no friends outside their bubble. Now it's couples who we usually only see if they're going through a crisis. Peter and Carla and the recorder brought welcome light relief but generally they only have high drama storylines. We could do with shades of light-hearted domestic squabbling as we used to get with Tim and Sally. The reason we don't have legendary couples is also that they rarely stick together. And actors leave. Would Joe Duttine be happy to stay in Corrie for the rest of his career?

Jan said...

Alya is just so annoying. How many times has Imran told her not to go ranting and raving at Geoff? She just blurts everything out to him giving him the advantage of knowing what’s going on.
Sarah is equally annoying thinking murder is quite acceptable if it was committed by someone you love. She has no morals whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Adam is after Laura per se,he's after the truth about Gary murdering rick and causing the factory roof to collapse and is using Laura for information.
I also find Sarah annoying with her condoning Gary murdering Rick because he did it to 'protect'her when it was to protect himself and the truth coming out about Gary sabotaging the factory roof.
I think Sarah would still consider Gary a 'hero'if the truth came out he sabotaged the factory roof which led to Rana's death because he made sure she was safe.
Mind you at times I find Sarah acts more like a teenager rather than a married woman as she always wants to be the center of attention with men particurely Gary.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe Liz has LEFT! She's a Corrie legend, she's been criminally underused these past couple years, and all we got was a throw away line that she's gone to Spain... She deserved better! Same with Rula Lenska... the lowest key exit ever... what is going on...

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!