Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 25 June 2017

Coronation Street Blog Interview with Carrie Hope Fletcher

Hiya! It’s just Jordan with yet another very special post, which will probably appeal mostly to the younger readers of the blog. As you know, a few weeks ago, I was invited to the press launch of The Addams Family Musical in Manchester. I interviewed former Corrie star Les Dennis on his role as Uncle Fester. You can read that interview here.


Also starring in The Addams Family is Carrie Hope Fletcher. As a big fan, I simply couldn’t pass up the opportunity for an interview.  Carrie Hope Fletcher is an actress, singer, author and YouTube vlogger who currently has over 600,000 subscribers and an online fanbase known as the ‘Hopefuls’. On her YouTube channel, she uploads a variety of videos, many of which give a backstage insight to life on stage.

Over the last few years, the 24-year-old has stepped into such iconic roles as Truly Scrumptious in the UK tour of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as well as playing a record-breaking three year run as Eponine in the West End production of Les Miserables. Now, the modern starlet is donning the famous plaits of Wednesday Addams in the UK premiere of The Addams Family Musical.

 After being treated to a couple of live performances from Carrie herself, I caught up with the busiest woman in the world to ask her a few questions about her new role.

So, yet another iconic role!
I know! I’m so lucky. So lucky.

What’s it like to play Wednesday Addams in the first British production of The Addams Family?

It’s amazing. Wednesday is so much fun to play. The interesting thing about Wednesday in the musical is that she’s older. We’re used to seeing her as a child, but now she’s eighteen and she’s fallen in love with a “normal” boy. That’s what the show is all about.

Unlike most British productions, this show hasn’t premiered in the West End. It’s gone on tour instead. Do you think that has changed the dynamic of the show?
It’s definitely different to being in the West End. When you’re in a show in London, you go to the same theatre every day and go home after the show. On tour, you’re moving round a lot so the cast becomes a lot tighter. We’re sharing hotels and going to the theatres together. There’s more of a family feel on tour. The sets also have to be a bit more flexible for all the different theatres.

Having already accomplished two of your dream roles, what’s next?
Well, this one just happened. Up until a few years ago, I had no idea The Addams Family Musical existed. I watched all of The Addams Family films growing up and when I heard about the musical, I became obsessed. I watched all the interviews and learned all about the Broadway production and hoped it would come to the UK.  So, I just discover new roles and love them. I never know what’s round the corner- sometimes I can just get a phone call for an audition next week.

Obviously, you have a huge online influence. Do you think you’ve introduced a whole new generation to the theatre at a time when theatres really need audiences?
I think so. A lot of people found Les Mis through me, as well as through sites like Tumblr and various other blogs so I think the Internet on the whole has had an effect. But it also works both ways. People have also found me and my channel through the theatre. It’s also amazing to me that our little corner of the Internet has been found by those in parts of the world, where sadly, they can’t get to see a West End show.

Now then, being from a soap blog, I can’t get away without asking you this. Are we ever going to see Carrie on Corrie?
(laughs) Carrie on Corrie! That’s got a ring to it! I’d love to do it, yeah. I used to watch the soaps religiously with my mum – Coronation Street, EastEnders, Emmerdale – and I think it would be really nice for her to be sat on the sofa watching me on the television. But, who knows? Pitch it!

A gorgeous interview with a girl who is just as inspiringly lovely in real life as she is online. You can catch Carrie starring alongside Les Dennis in The Addams Family Musical, touring the UK til November. Click here for tour dates and ticket details.

And if you’d like to visit Carrie’s YouTube channel where she is currently hosting an online series about the tour, follow the link below:


As always,

Thanks for reading!

Jordan

Twitter- @JordanLloyd39




Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!