Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 30 April 2017

Chris Gascoyne on his love-hate relationship with Coronation Street

Chris Gascoyne, who plays Peter Barlow in Coronation Street, is currently on a meet and greet tour in Canada.

And in an interview with The Hamilton Spectator, Chris admits to having a love-hate relationship with both the character and the show. He has left Coronation Street over the years, but each time came back. His most recent return was late last year, after a two-year absence.

"It's very, very demanding," Chris says. "When my character is in a strong storyline as he is now, I can be working 14-hour days. We can be juggling 15 episodes a week, out of order."

"It was my choice to leave. I wanted a break from the schedule to do theatre, to do plays. I also feel, it's OK to take a break for Peter's sake. I like Peter to be as fresh as possible. There's only so many stories at a time, I feel, that you can put Peter through."

But Chris admits that the cast sometimes feels like "puppets" in the hands of the more than 15 writers working Corrie storylines.

"They move us around. They create it and we play it. Then they take that back and have their little puppets do something different … and I mean that in a nice way, because I genuinely believe they write well for me."

Gascoyne says he always returns to "Coronation Street" because "I love the show and I love the people.

"It's part of my life. The people that I work with are part of my life. At times, I'm with them more than my family. We've seen births, deaths, marriages and divorces, everything you could think of these people have been through … Let's just say … it's an unusual job."

Read more Corrie news and spoilers here.




Please read our advice for leaving comments on the Coronation Street Blog
All original work on Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

5 comments:

Humpty Dumpty said...

Peter will be the senior Barlow (regularly on screen, that is) within a few years and that's a great responsibility for the actor. I'm happy for Chris G to come and go by agreement. Only a few characters/actors come into this category eg: David Platt, Roy Cropper, Steve McDonald.

Newfy Pearl said...

I love that he takes a break. Then he is not overused or underused. He gets to enjoy other ventures and meet the people who love Peter. It is a win win. Good for him.

Naysayer said...

I bet this post gets removed! I think he's got a bit of a cheek and should be grateful to have regular work, many actors don't. Stop complaining - you may work 14 hour days at times, but it's hardly constant hard labour, is it. I know lots of people and occupations who work longer hours - doctors, nurses anyone?

Maricha said...

Why should he be grateful? No one is hiring him out of the goodness of their heart.
If he wants to see what else he's capable of, it's a good thing that the show gives him the freedom to do that.

Zagg said...

I didn't get that he was complaining at all. I think he was just explaining the job. He's smart to takes breaks and explore other avenues in his industry. I always look forward to the return of Peter Barlow!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!