Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 27 August 2015

Coronation Street episode review, Thursday 27 August

Hello, I'm Rachel from That London and I'll be your Thursday reviewer from now until TPTB decide that a Thursday trip to the cobbles is an episode too far. I'm a relative Corrie newbie, having only tuned in fifteen years ago, but I've appeared on the Coronation Street Blog before as guest reviewer of a revival of (my favourite Corrie writer) Jonathan Harvey's play, Beautiful Thing, and as Fan of the Week.

Anyway, enough about me; on with the show....

We start off with Jason and family in the hospital. Tony is stressed by the lack of action from the police and he takes it out on Lloyd in the pub, leading to some sparks flying between Tony and Liz as they argue in the back room. By the end of the ep, Jason has woken up and is starting his recovery, albeit with a swelling on his kidney, presumably where Camp Callum kicked him. Between the claims and counter-claims, the Weatherfield plods must be more confused than ever about whodunnit. Michael suggests that Eileen and Tony "leave it to the police to work it out", but that'd probably mean that Kylie would end up arrested for the attack on Jason.

It's a real pity that Lloyd will soon be departing the Street, as he makes a great pairing with any McDonald, whether it be Steve ("If you ever turn up here in a pink dress or a string of pearls, you and me are finished!") or Liz, as they rekindle their romance over spring rolls from Wong's and The Real Housewives of Cheshire on ITVBe, although I do get the impression that it was her earlier fingering of Tony's shirt that leads Liz to a little light Lloyd petting in the back room.

In fashion news, it's good to see the return of the zig-zag necklace.

Talking of returns, Michelle is back from Ireland with "the Blarney stone and several gallons of Irish stout" in her bag. The Connor clan plus Steve celebrate her return with dinner at the Bistro, the purpose of which seems to be to set up some conflict between Aidan and Robert. Hopefully, Robert will stay in the kitchen from now on, rather than trying to garner praise (or ketchup requests) from the punters.

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of Aidan so far; he seems like the poor man's Luke Strong and I'm very unsure about the casting. The most endearing and enduring Corrie actors are those who've come up through the Street's Youth Academy, so to speak, such as Jack P. Shepherd and Alan Halsall, or those who were relatively unknown before Corrie (Katherine Kelly, Suranne Jones, Paula Lane), rather than celebs from other fields. Whilst I have gradually warmed to Kym Marsh, I am unconvinced by stunt casting unless it's for a short term role (I enjoyed Paddy McGuinness last week, but he would have been annoying as a long-term, one-note character), and I'm not quite sure which demographic the producer and casting directors are hoping to attract by casting someone who came to fame ten years ago.

Tim chats to Craig in the cafe about The Karate Kid ("my squeegees are my nunchucks" - maybe they will take over the banter from Steve and Lloyd when the latter departs) and then asks Craig if he wants to come with him to pick up baby Miley, but Craig prefers to clean out Daryl's cage (funnily enough, I was just reading about female rats anogenitally licking their pups, but let's not go there), although really he's phoning Caitlin. Perhaps she will return as a character in her own right sans Dougie?

Finally, Cathy is steamrollered by Mary and Yasmee into teaching art classes at the Community Centre. It's good to see Cathy getting to do something other than annoy Roy with her cutlery combining and toast crumbs. Art triumphs once again.

Thanks for reading, and thank you to Glenda and the gang for giving me the opportunity to review my favourite soap!

Download our free App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook | Visit Corrie.net


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I must disagree about Aidan, he is a really good addition to the cast. Shayne Ward is settling into the role nicely.

Glenda Young said...

Great review!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful review. Look forward to the next! - ELK

Tvor said...

great job!
I can't decide yet about Aidan but i didn't hate him on sight so i will let him warm up to it and give him a chance. I wasn't familiar at all with him before so i have no previous opinions on his casting.

Newfy Pearl said...

I was relieved to read your post....I can't stand Aiden Connor. He is everything that I can't stand of the Connors. I would like to see Robert Preston have it out with him. I really really like the Robert character. I am the rare Tracy Barlow fan.....I love when she has someone in her corner. :-)

Anonymous said...

Aiden is already a creep with a chip on his shoulder..another bad-un with a big mouth..zzzzzz

Anonymous said...

I find it amazing that people already "can't stand" Aidan. He's not even been in the show a week yet. Please give him time to bed in. I'm open minded on him and the jury's still out with me.. Corrie's had better characters, but also far worse! Please give him a chance

John McE said...

The trouble with Aiden for now is that he is still "him off X-factor". But I suppose eventually viewers will come to accept him. If they'd only cast an unknown though, we'd have accepted him from the beginning.

The beginning of a feud between Aiden and Robert was very clumsily handled though, IMHO.

Glenda Young said...

I quite like Aidan and think he's settling in well. I have never watched the X Factor so the actor's background means nothing to me which I think helps in accepting him as an actor and a character.

Anonymous said...

I'm exactly the same, Nora: never seen X Factor. There's a good potential there on screen already and I'm enjoying what he's bringing to the show. I just hope he doesn't go down the angst-ridden path that they dragged Liam Connor down.

Rachel said...

Thanks for all the comments, it's good to get feedback.

coconno196 said...

Shayne ' s acting isn't bad, but if Aiden, Michelle and Carla grew up together, how come he has a Liverpool accent? Also why set up a feud with Robert? There's no need for them to have any contact. Plus I've never known a chef to come out of the kitchen to check the food is all right. It's up to the wait staff to ask.

Dime said...

Great review!

Anonymous said...

Re Coconno 196. Shayne Ward is definitely Manchester born and bred. He even worked in Manchester city centre prior to the x factor. I really don't hear the scouse accent. Kym Marsh is from Wigan, which is a lot nearer than where Shayne was born

Anonymous said...

I like Aidan - perhaps he isn't the greatest actor but for me he is a breath of fresh air on Corrie St. - at least he isn't like the rest of the cast with the same old, same old. Keep him around, bring back Caitlyn with Craig - more Tim & Sally, ditto Steve & Rover - a recipe for a great Corrie. No more down in the mouth blah, blah, blah

Ruth owen said...

In the North West, Paddy McGuiness is a god. TPTB pulled him in and PM did his thing. Young and old adore him - from Phoenix Nights onward.

Anonymous said...

I look Aiden and see a butch Todd!!!!

Unknown said...

Fab review! :) xx

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!