Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 1 March 2014

Do the little things, Corrie

As it's St. David's Day, whose proverb was "Gwnewch y pethau bychain." ("Do the little things"), I thought I would take the opportunity to urge the writers and producers of Corrie to include more of the little things that make Corrie so special for me.

You know, those golden scenes of characters talking about nowt; sharing tender moments together; or taking a trip down memory lane. I know I've mentioned this before in a blog post but I think it's a fundamental message. 

We were treated a few weeks ago to Gail mentioning Suzie Birchall and this week we've had Rita and Norris sharing a heart to heart. It's those scenes that make Corrie supreme over other soaps. 

Producers believe we want sensationalism or we will turn off. Sensationalism is alright now and then but not all the time. Last year we were treated to great scenes between Roy and Hayley - alright, they sometimes argued but yet it was those small, tender moments we cherished - be it in Blackpool or in the cafe flat. And yet they still won awards.

I am aware that we have come far away from those 5 minute scenes of Betty, Hilda and Bet gossiping in the Rovers before opening time and I'm saddened that we probably won't get them back. But Stuart Blackburn has promised to return to Corrie's roots and maybe we are seeing glimmers of this with Steve and Lloyd but not with many others. Let's hope eh?

So come on Corrie, do the little things we all love about you! More humour and less drama please!

Thanks for reading and now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to have a panad and a teisen gri (cup of tea and Welsh cake)!

Dydd Gwyl Dewi hapus i chi gyd! (Happy St. David's Day to you all!)

Download our App | Follow on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog | Like on Facebook


Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

10 comments:

Glenda Young said...

Spot on and lovely!

Anonymous said...

Happy St. David's Day to you as well, how I'd love to see a Daff right now!
I too appreciated the mentioning of names from the past by older characters, keeps some continuity in a show that is, at times, nearly unrecognizable to what went before.
These days, C.S. is learning, it's the "explosive" and "sensational" episodes that attract, and keep, newer and younger viewers interested.
Winning awards is what they want, and always deserved as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame they have to create more than a few characters to be miserable, or nasty, or unfaithful, to gain accolades on the podium.


Humpty Dumpty said...

Not quite in the category you talk about, Llifon, but I thought last night's scene with Beth the heroine was almost like that. Unless they're going to ruin the story with Beth deciding she wants a reward,there was a strong flavour of Vera's comic self-delusion in Beth's drunken rambling. The mugging scene came out of nowhere so I suppose there is a follow-on. Hope the writers don't spoil it.

Llifon said...

I was thinking about that scene as well Humpty. But I suppose at it was linked to a plot, and not just a singular scene, maybe it fell from that category.

But I mean that scene plus the ones at the bingo hall and bus stop were scenes we used to see years ago. But I noticed a comment on Digital Spy when this episode synopsis came up. It was something like: "Ooh, going to bingo - how exciting (!)". I suppose it's that kind of viewer that Corrie try to aim for in it's sensationalism!

And I find that very sad.

Anonymous said...

I find that sad too. "Going to Bingo" is what keeps characters real, it's what makes up the majority of most people's lives.
Guess that's the trouble, most people are bored with their own lives, and rather than taking comfort from knowing others are doing the same, they look for installments of excitement that often lack reality.
To each his own,but it's a very large task to try and please us all.

David said...

It only works with certain characters. We get the odd scene with the Armstrongs/Windasses talking about nothing, but it's like watching paint dry.

Anonymous said...

What people want more than anything from an evening's TV is a laugh. Why else are Morecambe and Wise or Dad's Army still drawing good ratings years after they were made?

If Corrie brought back the humour consistently, that would do far more for its ratings than trying to attract morons who think the Peter/Tina affair is remotely entertaining.

Newfy Pearl said...

I liked the scene with Liz rambling on to Amy on the couch with her nan's shoes on. That was sweet - and normal.
I loved Beth's reaction to the punk...she and Sinead have lovely scenes together. Definitely not like Cilla! Beth loves Craig, Kirk, and Sinead..Cilla loved herself and no one else.
I would like to see conversations between people who usually do not chat, I would like conversations with old friends who never seem to share a scene anymore.
I enjoy a little humor but I think if they went overboard on this it would miss the mark too.

Beth said...

I also loved the scene with Liz and little Amy. They were about nothing in particular and so cute with Amy wearing her Nan's shoes, laying on the sofa reading her magazine. What a gem she's turning out to be recently. We haven't seen her for months and she's shining in all her scene's and so natural. We've seen such a lot of Simon Barlow over the years so it's good to see another child actor that has good timing and can act.

I would have loved to have seen Beth actually in the bingo hall trying to keep up with all the others. It's so competitive. They could have played out a lot of comedy there.

Corriepedia said...

So right and accurate! I could have written this blog post myself....well, except for the bits in Welsh...

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!