Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 6 October 2013

Has 2013 been a memorable year for Corrie so far?

It's beginning to feel distinctly autumnal. The nights are drawing in and the year end is in sight. As the Coronation Street actors prepare to shoot Christmas scenes before Halloween, I thought it was as good a time as ever to begin a look back at the year in Weatherfield. 

Each year has its landmark moments and I set to wondering what those would be for 2013? Ever since Corrie first aired back in December 1960, there have been breathtaking moments,  big and brash as well as quiet and underplayed. From Elsie Tanner's final moonlight flit in a taxi to Hilda's tearful farewell to Stan; Mike Baldwin's sad demise in Ken's arms to Alan Bradley's adieu thanks to that infamous Blackpool tram, nobody does memorable moments like Coronation Street. 

Has 2013 been a remarkable year for the Street though? What stand out moments can you think of? Sure there was the recent unmasking of Karl Munro as the Rovers fire starter and the culmination of the Kirsty Soames drama. There has also been the tearjerking revelation over our beloved Hayley's terminal illness. I'm probably going to receive a load of comments on this, however I struggle to summon up many more memorable scenes. 

For me, 2013 will be remembered for the long drawn out TIna/Izzy/Gary surrogacy storyline and others of that ilk. Will Corrie fans in forty years time count that amongst the Street's best bits? Will fireman Paul's racism plot line be remembered next year let alone twenty years from now?

Am I wrong about this? What are your favourite, most memorable moments from Corrie so far this year?


You can follow us on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog and Facebook: CoronationStreetBlog

Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

9 comments:

Alastair said...

2013 has been Corrie's best year and hasn't failed with lots of great storylines including killer Karl, the Platt's family problems and Hayley's cancer. It has been a brilliant year and I hope they continue to keep it up next year.

Corrie forever.

Anonymous said...

I think it has been a good year overall. I've loved Hayley and Roy being at the forefront of the show. I've loved the scenes with Hayley and Carla as well.

October should be a great month with the Nick/Kylie reveal. Liz's return, Todd's return and the arrival of Kal.

I'm looking forward to the Christmas scenes despite the fact that there is trouble ahead for one of my favourite soap couples, Carla and Peter.

I haven't enjoyed watching Tina being shoehorned into almost every storyline and that looks set to continue, which is a shame.

Humpty Dumpty said...

What's significant for me is the transition from one producer to another and it took a while for this to have an impact. Some culling was undertaken and that was all too good. I hope 2014 sees off some more exhausted characters. Roy and Haley will take the honours for the most memorable storyline and will surely receive some awards. The Karl storyline was good in that it gave Beth and Craig a chance to shine rather than just let it be the Stella-show. Not looking forward to Peter and Tina and assume it's because Tommy's gone. There's a gaping plot hole that seems to have been clumsily filled. In 2014, I hope we see consistently high quality acting and writing and fewer affairs.

Tvor said...

I agree, it's mostly been a very good year. I've really enjoyed the Platt storyline, and I enjoyed the pub burning storyline with Karl's comeuppance at the end. Still think that Roy and Hayley will be the highlight of the year.

Stephen said...

For me, the whole surrogacy plot was a bore, whereas the Tyrone/Kirsty domestic violence was gripping. Tyrone's role as the loving yet terrified victim was excellent.

I'm already bored with Nick/David/Kylie/Lily, and couldn't care less how it ends up. The notion of a Peter/Tina affair already puts me to sleep. Another affair, when Peter's already had enough changes? Bollocks.

Anonymous said...

I had already forgotten the fireman Paul story until you mentioned it.

Anonymous said...

The best of 2013 was Collinson's departure and the end, hopefully, of explosive storylines.

Anonymous said...

The lack of silly sensationalism in 2013 has been a freshreshing change.

MICK said...

I'd say all in all it's not been a great year for the street.

Other than Roy and Hayley's very sad story and the kirsty/Tyrone domestic violence arc it's all been distinctly forgettable.

I thought the Rovers fire and the killer Karl eps were far fetched from start to finish and I'm not a fan of this latest Nick/David/ Kylie tryst. Again, I think it requires the suspension of belief.

The surrogacy storyline bored me rigid and I find it difficult to believe that Peter would cheat on Carla - yet another far fetched storyline in the offing IMO.

It's been far too sensationalistic for my liking and there's certainly room for a lot of improvement next year.

Forget the silly stunts, endless affairs and serial killer plots - the street should get back to being a character led show. It is at its best IMO when it isn't afraid of being small.

Hopefully, 2014 will turn out to be a better year for the Weatherfield residents.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!