Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 15 June 2013

Loving Corrie this week

I'm starting to be cautiously optimistic about Corrie. I'm finding more and more that I'm really enjoying lately. Friday's double episode written by Jonathan Harvey was great!

Dev's obsession is great. I'm still enjoying Jimmi Harkishin's performance and loving watching Karl scheme and squirm. It's driving him to desperation and he nearly knocked off Dev on Friday before managing to talk Dev down. I loved Mary putting forth her point of view. From her perspective, those kids are being bullied and if Dev settles down, moves on and helps the children through their grief, maybe they will too.

Karl is really getting close to the edge, and he nearly confessed to Gloria though she gave him an "out" with the post traumatic flashback suggestion. We all know it won't end there. Dev may have given up for now but something else will come along.

I'm one of those that has enjoyed the surrogacy story and watching Tommy and Rita having doubts while Tina is determined (right or wrong) is very realistic. They all want to support her even if they don't think she's doing the right thing. Dennis scolded them for their blind loyalty. Wonderful! He just jumps off the screen when he's finally given something to do! I am already tired of all the Windasses and Armstrongs hurling insults in the street at T&T and that's going to get old really fast. They're right to be angry but it's tedious, too.

Something's going on in the cafe. Things are being moved around and everyone is starting to wonder if there's a ghost or something. I'm betting Roy is repressing his emotions after his father's death so much so  that he's sleepwalking.

Eileen's trying to cope with Paul's job and not doing it very well. I kept thinking that the fire department would have family resources in place to help with things like that and Eileen finally mentioned it. Why nobody else has brought it up before then, I don't know. I also love that Steve and Eileen's friendship is back in full force.

We're also seeing the beginning of what will probably be the big reveal about Nick and Kylie. David's suspcions are aroused and we all know what happens when that...er.. happens.

Yep, overall, I would class this week's episodes, Friday's in particular, as top class Corrie!


You can follow us on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog and Facebook: CoronationStreetBlog

Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

21 comments:

Defrost Indoors said...

I'm in Canada so am two weeks behind, and I'm very heartened to hear that the focus is going to start shifting away from the Windarmstrong clan and from the Prices. Dennis is one of my fave characters and I wish they'd give him more to do.

Anonymous said...

I've always thought Eileen and Steve would make a very quirky couple. They might not last but at least it would bring some humour back to the Street!

Anonymous said...

In that same vein, wouldn't it be interesting if Mary and Dev turned into some type of couple? Change it up from the stereo-typical sorts of couples into pairings of more interesting people - give us a chance to see what makes them tick (and click).

Anonymous said...

Somethings up with Craig..he knows what went on the night of the fire. Dev has something eating at him..I think shortly he'll put it together...what's with the gloves?

I feel sorry for Izzy..she didn't want any part of the surrogacy in the beginning and was persuaded by Gary and Anna with Owen throwing his two cents in every minute and now she's no better off than before except her heart's broken.
I think Tina will hand the babe over. Good episodes last night..

Anonymous said...

Wha??? Mary and Dev a couple ? Absolutely ridiculous . Wouldn't watch it if that's the case. Big up to Jimmi H who is doing a great job as Columbo . Lovin his Mack too. He can play clown or. Sensitive father . I think he's ace .

Stephen said...

I really enjoyed John Michie's performance as Karl: all those conflicting emotions. And the little scene wherein Gloria gave him a hug gave me some hope for that otherwise rotten character, too.

Nathan Johnson said...

I am enjoying Mary's involvement with Dev and the children, good to see her doing something different than just being an idiot and hanging around Norris and showing a more caring side in supporting Dev. But I'd rather they remain friends instead of pairing them up.

Nothing bothered me, expect the Windass war with Tina. I cannot stand most of the characters in this storyline (expect perhaps Dennis) and just find them unlikable and annoying. Hope they will move to the side next week.

Defrost Indoors said...

I can see Dev and Mary developing into a great double act along the lines of Norris and Rita, or Eileen/Steve, Steve/Lloyd, Lloyd/Steve, etc. I couldn't see romance though -- Dev has just lost his wife and she's still (bizarrely) in love with Norris.

corrierules said...

OK... I have been mulling this over for a while, ever since I heard Liz is coming back. She could have a fling with Dev. It would put Deirdre's nose way out of joint and there would be many comic possibilities with Steve.

Anonymous said...

Hurry up and finish the karl/dev storyline cant stand him hopefully he ends up dead like the rest of the others

Frosty the Snowman said...

I am going to disagree about Dev. We should be having sympathy with this man but his buffoon like behaviour, accompanied by over the top face pulling, jerking actions and silly noises just makes him supremely irritating. Why does he keep announcing to Karl and Stella what he is doing all the time, they are not his mates, the opposite in fact - both had their part to play in his break up with "MySunita". He needs to stop this manic faffing and get someone else on board on his side to help him - Mary for instance or Steve/Lloyd.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Sorry, but I found the scene with Karl holding the trophy behind Dev's head hilarious. If this goes on much longer, it will descend into pantomime.

Anonymous said...

WHY ARE BOTH IZZY AND TINA SAYING THEY ARE JAKE/JOES MUM ONLY ONE CAN BE THE MUM AND OTHER SHOULD STAY OUT OF IT OTHERWISE THERE IS GOING TO BE BIG ARGUMENT IZZY CANT SAY SHE IS THE MUM WHEN TINA IS JOES MUM BECAUSE TINA GAVE BIRTH TO HIM BLESS THE POOR LITTLE MITE IT DOESNT KNOW WHERE HE IS GOING SAY IF TINA WAS THE MUM THEN IZZY STAYS OUT OF IT OR SAY IF IZZY WAS THE MUM THEN TINA STAYS OUT OF IT

Llifon said...

Was Karl going round to No. 7 a parody of Richard Hillman going to Emily's house. He was wearing gloves and everything!

Gail singing was hilarious as well as well as Deirdre getting free drinks! I see her as a kind of Blanche/Albert Tatlock character.

Anonymous said...

I love the fact every now and again they make Gail sing along to the radio as she has always had a tendency to do this, nice the writers don't forget- Micky

Shan said...

Karl totally gave me flashbacks to Richard Hillman and Gail and her olives gave me a great laugh. I've always found Dennis to be kind of a goof but last night I loved his honesty and input on the situation.

It was nice to start to hear what others have to think about the Tina situation. I love when people just offer up their opinions in the Rovers.

Shan said...

Can somebody tell me where Tommy has been living all this time that he was broken up with Tina? I had assumed he moved out of the flat, but if he did, why are they not staying wherever he moved to instead of with Rita and Dennis? Or did he stay in the flat even though they had broken up?

Elsie Tanner said...

Shan, I asked this question the other day and got no response, therefore I'm assuming no-one knows where he's been living.

And for God's sake will someone please out Karl as the arsonist... I really can't watch his screwed up face any more!

Cobblestone said...

Shan - Tommy moved in with Rita & Dennis after his split with Tina. So Tina HAS moved into where he was staying.

Tvor said...

There were loads of little things too that I didn't mention, like Tracy's telemarketing job and everyone teasing her, Audrey taking the mick out of Tracy, Gail singing, Gloria talking about Deirdre's perm...

Shan said...

Thank you Cobblestone, now it all makes me sense to me!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!