Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 25 May 2013

Are you excited to see the Rovers return?


It feels like the Rovers Return has been closed for an age. Maybe that's why I think Coronation Street has been lacking something recently. For me, the good old Rovers is the centre of the Corrie universe.

I know Corrie has other meeting places where characters can interact (in various different forms!) but none of them come close to the Rovers. I love Roy's Rolls, mainly because we're bound to see Roy, Hayley or Sylvia, currently all playing a blinder and showing others up where they are seriously lacking. The Kabin is also a favourite although, like the Corner Shop, it doesn't feature as prominently these days as perhaps it should. Then there's Nick's Bistro.

I don't know about you but I've never taken to the Bistro. It just sits awkwardly with the Street. At the moment it features in nearly every episode it seems and everyone is in there all the flipping time! Ok, I can see Stella, Carla and Michelle frequenting the Bistro regularly, but Norris and Emily? Nah. The Bistro also boasts the most unprofessional staff I've witnessed anywhere. So many arguments are conducting behind that tiny bar I'm surprised they have any customers at all. After the tram landed on the place back in 2010 I'm shocked they shift any Lancashire tapas whatsoever.

No, it will always be the Rovers for me. It may not be in it's prime these days, it's crying out for an Annie Walker. Step forward Sally Webster with all that lottery cash! The Rovers Return is such a strong brand that somehow it doesn't really matter who is behind the bar. I can't wait to see it re-open its doors to the punters of Weatherfield once again. After all, it's been several months since anyone has had a pint of best bitter tipped over their head. 

So, have you missed the Rovers? Are you excited about its return?



You can follow us on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog and Facebook: CoronationStreetBlog

Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really, really miss the Rovers. I don't understand the lure of the Bistro like you so well put the staff are completely unprofessional especially Leeanne.

njblas said...

It will be good to see the 'new' pub unveiled in all its glory. Hopefully this will also mean the wonderful landlady Stella gets a lot more airtime, as we never really see much of this intriguing character and her fascinating family...ahem:)

Llifon said...

Yeah - maybe we'll see Emily again!

Frosty the Snowman said...

No - as it will mean more scenes with the ubiquitous Stella, her ghastly mother and scounging freeloader boyfriend. Sorry but they have ruined the Rovers in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Rovers is not about the fittings and furniture but the characters who live there. I'll stay tuned out thanks for now, thanks.

Sunny Jim said...

The Bistro is fine if you want a meal or if you drink wine but over the past weeks it has been frequented by people who just wouldn't have gone in there, even though their local was closed.

The likes of Jason, Owen and others would have decamped to the Weathy Arms for the duration.

In fact last night I was shouting at the telly, I know they can't hear me I really ought to stop, telling Sinead and Chesney to get themselves down there rather than endure the "coincidence" (see other blog post) of Ryan & Katy being in there too.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Agree with Sunny Jim. The men would have gone to another pub, and the oldies might have met up in each other's houses or in the café.

I'm keen to see the new Rovers but unfortunately it comes in a package with the Prices.

Tvor said...

It just doesn't make sense that most of them would be spending all that time and money in the more expensive Bistro when the Weathy Arms and the Flying Horse are only round the corner. I'll be glad to get the world put right side up again. Corrie isn't Corrie without the Rovers.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, the return of the Rovers comes with a 'Price' tag. :-)

Chatty Kathy said...

LOL @ Anonymous 21:57

Ida Reigns said...

Yes.

Defrost Indoors said...

It seems especially galling that a family who no one likes were the ones involved in it burning down -- kind of a 'how dare you!' moment. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else! It's like these annoying outsiders wrecking the place.

Frosty the Snowman said...

Didnt they introduce the landlady of the Weathy Arms during the five aside football? Debbie someone? Why didnt they do a few stories based around her and her bar instead of all the scenes with the Prices eating and drinking all the flaming time??

Rosie said...

There have been so many missed opportunities for story lines since the Prices arrived, I'd like to know why Stella and co are so much in the fore front, now with Phil Collins gone I was rather hoping we would would see less of them, sadly that's not the case. Are they paid so much more than the other actors that they have to justify the cost. I'm really missing a lot of my favourite characters and getting so fed up with main story lines going on and on there is little air time left for general interaction. And what's happening with Marcus and Maria? I really want to know and
Beth and Kirk and Sophie and Jenna and, I could go on and on.

Billy Niblick said...

Well, maybe I'm short-sighted, but the new Rovers' looks identical to the old to me.

njblas said...

Yes, whatever happened to Maria and Marcus? It seems like they have no idea where to take them now so have put them in the 'too hard' basket. I know there are various reasons why certain characters and actors are rested from time to time, but surely we deserve a rest from the Price clan, and some time under the spotlight for characters we actually care about!

Carry On Blogging! said...


I think the actress who plays Maria had a lot of time off for that skating show she appeared in...that's my guess! It has been weird not seeing her after all the fuss about Maria and Marcus.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!