Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 27 February 2013

What a complex Corrie web they weave

I've just been having a good muse over the latest chaotic happenings in the Platt household. Very interesting, involving stuff, well played out by all concerned. Casting the net a little wider though you can see how this story has the potential to upset a fair few apple carts.

First of all there is David and Kylie. Now obviously, this being the world of the soap opera, David is bound to find out about Kylie's infidelity sooner or later. We could all take bets on who will finally let slip, but now Gail has told Sally it's surely only a matter of time before the truth comes out. I only hope Kylie decides to tell the truth before it comes from an outsider. We all know David is a hot head and will probably explode at the news as well he might. However I hope over time these two patch things up as I love them together. I also really hope the baby is actually David's.

Next we come to Nick and Leanne. Leanne is currently in blissful ignorance about the entire affair but how long will this last? Surely this betrayal is one fling too far for this couple? Nick has now cheated on Leanne and they had an affair while she was with Peter. How much more complex or rotten can one relationship be? 

I know some people disagree with me, but personally I think Nick is too good for Leanne. I just don't like them together. While I think David and Kylie should stick it out, I do think Nick and Leanne are doomed. I'm liking Eva a lot more these days and if she continues to develop and mature I could see Nick and Eva going the distance. 

If Leanne is cut loose from Nick once and for all, that opens up and reheats a can of worms for Peter and Carla. These two have been rather quiet of late which can only mean one thing -- they are about to come back with a bang. If Leanne becomes single again, I reckon Peter would be back in there faster than Blanche insulted his friends at that AA meeting. Leanne obviously still has feelings for Peter as we saw in the lead up to her wedding to Nick. I reckon it's only a matter of time. This bothers me as I rather like Peter with Carla. Unfortunately as both Peter and Carla are such damaged individuals I can't see them going the distance. 

Sadly all this splitting up and getting back together will have a bad effect on the children involved. While Max suffers from the Amy Barlow syndrome and only utters five words a year, old before his time Simon Barlow will obviously see this as another opportunity to demonstrate what a little brat he can be! There is a side of me which gets very tired at the thought of all this as we've seen most of it before, however all these characters are strong so it should be highly watchable.

Am I forgetting someone here? Ah, yes Ivy Tilsley in a Gail mask. How will Gail emerge from all of this? Your guess is as good as mine, however I am sure of one thing. Even the strongest of Weatherfield winds won't change the expression on that face!

So do you agree with me? How do see this mess of relationships working out?

And I'm sorry for that gratuitous photo of Peter with his top off - it was the only one I could find.

You can follow us on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog and Facebook: CoronationStreetBlog

And if you are Ben Price, you can follow me on Twitter @Edgeof31  ;)

Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graeme, if you don't want to be Head Writer, at least apply for Quality Control. You have a better handle on things than anyone I know. I really enjoy your comments and agree with you.

Carry On Blogging! said...


Thanks, you're very kind! Probably though "a better handle on things" should read "a bit of an anorak"!!

Janice said...

I'm sorry too for the pic of Peter with his top off. I hate tattoos. Audrey will have her work cut out trying to maintain the peace.

Sarah said...

I agree about Nick and Leanne. Actually, in my opinion, both Nick and Peter are far too good for Leanne.

I really like Carla and Peter together though and I don't want to watch Leanne's character drag them down.
Hopefully Stuart Blackburn will take them in a different direction to Phil Collinson.
Apparently there's a big storyline ahead for them and according to Blackburn 'they're moving them on apace', so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Joseph said...

Don't apologise for that photo, Graeme. Some of us enjoy the view :p

About Nick and Leanne... I personally just want Leanne to find some happiness. It's getting a little too unrealistic, the way everything blows up for her. Whether its with Nick, I don't mind. Just make the girl happy!

Totally agree with you about David and Kylie though. Supercouple in the making.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I like David and Kylie together and I hope they last but Kylie has great chemistry with Nick!

I reckon the baby is David's and when that's confirmed, Nick will be shocked at how disappointed he feels. He is convinced he loves Leanne (no idea why) but there's definitely something between him and Kylie that I'm fairly certain the writers will want to take further! It's a fresh story and the characters work well together so why wouldn't they?

Although I do think Nick and Leanne are probably doomed to stay together now they're married again.

Personally, I love Peter when he's with Carla and I love Carla when she's with Peter but I am not interested in watching them go around in circles with Leanne approaching from the background.
I think she's dreadful. I don't want to watch her with Nick or Peter - in fact, I don't want to watch Leanne with anyone. When she was with Peter, she wanted Nick, when she was with Nick, she wanted Peter. She's NEVER happy but she obviously would be better off on her own.

Carry On Blogging! said...


Joseph - thanks! I thought some readers might appreciate it! Ideally I wanted one of Nick but the only ones I could find were not exactly blog friendly!

supercouple indeed- Kylie definitely brings out the best in David.

Carry On Blogging! said...


Anonymous, I have to agree with you about Leanne. She does tend to always want what she can't have - although I guess that makes her very human!

I hate her when she's being snooty to Kylie! Someone needs to remind her of her shady past!!

Anonymous said...

I personally don't care for either Leeanne or Nick. Leeanne is always miserable and snotty. I think Nick is a spoilt Momma's boy who doesn't know what he wants. I thought Gail and Nick treated Natasha horribly.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Graeme, we're a collective anorak on this blogsite with you having a major share! Anorak = fan knowing and caring more about a show than the producers and writers. In fact, I want a little badge to hide under my collar and bring out whenever I meet another fan.

I think the baby will be David's and will be obvious immediately by some physical mark that David had as a baby. As sick as I am of new-borns on the show, I think this will push Nick and Leanne to have their own. Cue Peter, wishing it was his with Leanne.

Anonymous said...

Humpty Dumpty I think there's more chance of Carla discovering she's pregnant in the future, Peter would be thrilled but Carla wouldn't. Leanne would be jealous.

Anonymous said...

I'm possibly the only one, but I do love Leanne (probably because Jane Danson is such a good actress), so I'd like to see her happy for a while! Don't forget that she was willing to forgive Peter and try again.. she may do the same for Nick?
Still don't like Peter and Carla.. ugh (don't really like Carla full stop..). Love Kylie and David together.. she's been the making of him..

Anonymous said...

My favourite Corrie couples are Kylie & David and Peter & Carla.

They couldn't be more different but I love them!

Both couples have a lot of potential.
I hope Kylie's baby is David's and they are able to work through their problems together. Nick is going to be the big problem because I think he's falling for Kylie. He can be a very manipulative, slimy character and I reckon we'll be reminded of that.

I hope Carla and Peter have some good times ahead for a change. Carla should start interacting more with the Barlows.

I don't think they need to throw a pregnancy storyline in though. Peter has already suggested they have a baby and Carla didn't like the idea, so if she found out she was pregnant, Peter would be happy about it but Carla wouldn't and then we would have to go back to the love square because Leanne would be extremely jealous. She would start ranting about how unfair it is that she can't have kids and Carla's pregnant even though she doesn't want to be blah blah blah.

Anonymous said...

See I don't think Carla said she didn't want kids, it was more about the timing. Peter wanted to have a child when they weren't stable in their relationship simply because he was missing Simon.

I am all for a Carla and Peter pregnancy storyline. Carla is actually quite good with kids, Ryan who was a baby or toddler when she was with Paul, Amy, Liam) but it would be great to see her struggle to balance being a mom, and running her business. And it would be great to see Peter be around to raise the baby and maybe struggle with Simon's jealousy over the new little one. I would like to think Simon would warm up to Carla already and stop being the horrid brat he is.

However, if the pregnancy will be used to just bring about the whole love square nonsense again, then I can't even be bothered with it.
:)

I love the Kylie/David dynamic. I really don't want them to split up but it is inevitable in the long term. I think they, like Peter and Carla, can bring out the worst in each other at times, but they more often than not bring out the best in each other. I love their humor, their banter and even their fights.

Nick and Leanne could be a great couple, but Leanne's personality needs to shift back to the old Leanne sharpish. Her new persona post-tram crash has been nothing short of horrific, and unsympathetic to say the least.

Anonymous said...

That's true, Carla didn't say she didn't want kids, but she also didn't say she wanted them...

I love Peter and Carla together so I'm not completely against a pregnancy storyline for them, especially if it played out the way you described it. I think that would be brilliant.

Chatty Kathy said...

I could be wrong, but I think Leanne can't get pregnant. That's one of the reasons that I believe Kylie's baby will be Nick's. If it's David's, where's the drama?

Carry On Blogging! said...


I'm pretty sure you are right about Leanne, Kathy

Sammie said...

Chatty Kathy I think you're right too. I'm not 100% sure but didn't Dr Carter tell Leanne that her best chance was IVF treatment?

If I remember right, Leanne wanted to try but Peter wasn't keen.

Carry On Blogging! said...


Yup, I think that's correct. Maybe there will be a shock pregnancy and Leanne will have a baby after thinking it's not possible??

Sammie said...

Graeme, I wouldn't be surprised!
Although, the writers seem to enjoy portraying Leanne as a very jealous person.

If/when she finds out that Nick might be the father of Kylie's baby. She'll be angry, hurt but mainly jealous.
Like others have said, if they decide to give Carla a baby, it will be the same sort of thing.

Chatty Kathy said...

The only Corrie stories I'm enjoying now are the whole Kylie baby mess, and the Maria/Marcus gay-to-straight romance. That's it. The Kirsty/Tyrone abuse story has dragged on way too long, and I didn't like it even when it was fresh. Stella and her gang leave me cold, and Tracy The One Smirk Pony's faktry antics are as entertaining as watching grass grow. I'm also sick of the Faye saga. Just let Tim take her away and be done with it.

Chatty Kathy said...

Oh, forgot to mention Katy & Ryan. I must have tried to block it from my memory bank.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!