Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Thursday 7 February 2013

Adoring Alma

Feeling a bit fed up today, I must admit. Still in plaster, still in the wilds of Scotland and reaching for the gin. And also for my Coronation Street DVD collections. 'What a wise move', I hear you cry for soon I was back on form, all snug, cosy and familiar. 

For me, 1989 was a classic year for the Street. The McDonalds first arrived in Weatherfield, giving us Liz's big hair, teenage idols to rival any Australian imports and an endless supply of Northern Irish catchphrases from Big Jim. Catch yourself on! 

It also gave us the culmination of the wonderful, iconic Alan Bradley storyline which would see Rita finally free of the madman, courtesy of a Blackpool tram. However, 1989 also brought back a character who had made her last full appearance seven years before. I refer of course, to the lovely Alma Sedgewick.

Amanda Barrie was always my favourite as Alma, proprietor of Jim's Cafe. I remember watching Alma when I was younger and being captivated by her performances. Originally a somewhat brassy character, envisaged I am sure as the new Elsie Tanner, she quickly softened, becoming a loyal friend to many and at times a somewhat put upon character. For me she was always someone viewers could both root for and sympathise with, particularly in her dealings with that famous Weatherfield lothario, Mike Baldwin. 

Looking back, it was amazing she managed to maintain that glamorous appearance throughout her 13 years as a regular on the cobbles. For most of her tenure she either worked behind the counter of a greasy spoon or donned a tabard at Freshcos alongside Curly Watts. Our Alma did have a rather striking appearance: that mane of glossy dark hair, the lovely big eyes, the rolled up sleeves and the turned up collars. It worked for her and I admired her sense of style. 


I loved her friendships with Gail and Phyllis behind the counter of Jim's Cafe. She even made Gail smile on the odd occasion. However her greatest double act in my eyes was with fellow gadabout, Audrey Roberts. I loved their countless shopping sprees and adventures out in Alma's bright red MG sports car. They were true friends to the end. I think Corrie bosses missed a trick, as there was a lot of missed potential when Alma eventually moved in with Audrey after her divorce. 

Which brings us nicely to men. 


Most of Alma's main storylines involved her love life. For a time she came between Ken and Mike (not an enviable position in my eyes!) before eventually settling down with Mike Baldwin. She was a great foil for wheeler dealer Mike, and much more able for him than he ever realised. Her association with Mike also led to Don Brennan, the one-legged taxi driver, kidnapping her and taking her for a dip in the canal. It was a great shame when the writers split them up, and for me things were never really the same again. Post-Mike she wasn't given much to do which was a shame as she could have developed into a very strong independent lady of a certain age. 

However she did seem to fade away. Alma's eventual exit from Corrie in 2001 was a sad one, and also controversial. Alma succumbed to cervical cancer and her demise was swift to say the least. Despite some criticism from viewers and indeed Amanda Barrie herself, the story was played out superbly by both Amanda and Sue Nicholls. When the end came there wasn't a dry eye in the house. 


After leaving Coronation Street, Amanda Barrie wrote a wonderful memoir called It's Not a Rehearsal. I would recommend you track it down if you haven't already had the pleasure. It was a very open, honest account of her life and incredibly varied career. She also wrote fondly of her time on the Street and her many friends in the cast. As you can tell I'm still a massive Alma fan, even twelve years after her departure. God bless DVDs!



So do you share my love of Alma Sedgewick? What are your memories of this character? Any Alma storylines that you particularly remember? I want to hear about it!


You can follow us on Twitter @CoroStreetBlog and Facebook: CoronationStreetBlog

And you can reminisce with me about Alma on Twitter @Edgeof31 

Creative Commons Licence
All original work on the Coronation Street Blog is covered by a Creative Commons License

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always loved Alma. And your blog has made me long for the Gail that was. Please may we have her back again!
Bev

njblas said...

Graeme, you are a man of impeccable taste...by which I mean you love the same Corrie characters and storylines as I do!!
I adored Alma, and the emotional storyline which led to her exit - who could forget that deathbed scene or the video she left for her friends to watch after her demise? Brilliant acting and writing! She had a great on-screen presence and I still miss her! I also agree with your appraisal of her memoir - of all the Corrie stars who have put out books, hers is one of the best. In her last year or two on Corrie, she was very much side-lined as a character, and I quote the following passage from her book regarding producer Jane MacNaught: "It is no secret that I did not enjoy a good relationship with Jane MacNaught, and that is one of the reasons why I eventually decided to take the plunge and leave the show. I had a pretty strong feeling that I wasn't one of her favourite actors, so I was not optimistic about my future there". I also recall reading a later interview in which Amanda said she may well have stayed on if she had known Jane MacNaught's tenure was about to be terminated:( One interesting anecdote about Alma's red sports car - whenever she was seen driving, it was actually a 'stunt driver' behind the wheel, as Amanda doesn't drive in real life.

Glenda Young said...

Remember also that Alma was the first true friend and confidante of Hayley Cropper when she first appeared. I miss Alma and cried when she died.

Anonymous said...

Oh I adored Alma, I cried when she died too. I remember the storyline when, Jim I think, was selling the cafe and Roy said he could contribute something, everyone thought he was talking about just 50 pounds and couldn't believe how 'rich' he turned out to be.
I saw Amanda once in London during my lunch break, she was carrying a yorkshire terrier, but I was just too awe struck to speak.
Thanks for the reminiscence.

Nurse Florence Ganderpoke said...

I too was a fan of Alma and miss her not being in the Street. I did manage to track down a copy of Amanda Barrie's autobiography after your recommendation, and a very good read it is too!

Carry On Blogging! said...


I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Carry On Blogging! said...


And that's very true, Flaming Nora. I remember Alma was one of Hayley's first friends on the Street and brought her and Roy together. One of the best stories they've ever done

Anonymous said...

Alma was indeed a fantastic character. The perfect combination of glamour and warmth. I was too young to really remember much of her the 1st time around (I started watching in 1999)but the 1st big story I can recall was her split from Mike then of course her tragic death 2 years later. Since buying my Street boxsets, Alma's become 1 of my favourites with her kidnap by Don Brenna in 1997 being a standout episode.

Anonymous said...

Alma was a glorious character: so warm and smart. Her death was one of the most moving storylines they have ever done.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Alma's deathbed scene was wonderfully done. If I remember correctly, Alma passed away and Linda Baldwin (one of those gathered round the bed) smirked triumphantly. Subtly, though, and there were no gnashers flashing at the camera.

Carry On Blogging! said...


Oh yes, I remember Linda circling like a vulture in Audrey's house at the end! She was a great baddie!

Anonymous said...

Graeme N. Alma is before my time in the Cobbles but your post is getting me to search for past clips with her in them! Even if I don't much enjoy Corrie like I used to, I enjoy your postings -- keep up the good work! At least SOMETHING INTERESTING is being generated out from the Corrie world these days... and I care enough at least to post a few comments here...
Thanks from Canada.

KAOS said...

My favourite Alma scene - and she was one of my favourite characters - was after Mike Baldwin ditched her the first time, she was walking through a park with Aurdrey, arm-in-arm. "D'you knwo what the worst thing is?" she said to Audrey. "It'll all happen again."

Carry On Blogging! said...


Zee Jai - I remember it well! I also seem to remember her going round and ripping up all his clothes after he dumped her for Jackie Ingram!

Carry On Blogging! said...


Anonymous in Canada - Thanks for your comments, I'm really pleased you enjoy the blog. Do try and track down episodes on youtube - I don't know if you can get Corrie DVDs in Canada but if you can, Alma features quite a lot throughout 1990s episodes in particular.

Anonymous said...

Why did Alma always wear polo neck tops ?

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!