Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 5 January 2013

Audrey Who?

I've just seen last night's Corrie episodes and I have to say this was probably one of the more bizarre bits of dialogue I've ever heard on Coronation Street in a long time. It went *something* like this:

Sally and Gail were talking about Lewis:
Gail "He was involved with someone I know"
Sally "It's not Kevin is it?"
Gail "Kevin??!!! of course not!"
Sally "What's wrong with Kevin?"
Gail "Nothing. He's very... Kevin. No, you don't know the people involved."
Sally "If this other woman is any kind of friend she'll be happy for you"
Gail "I wouldn't want to hurt her. I care about her"

Point 1: Why would Sally think the other person Lewis was involved with was Kevin? Neither man is gay nor would Kevin do any business dealings with Lewis.  Kevin isn't even comfortable eating in the Bistro!

Point 2: Is Sally new here? EVERYONE knows Audrey and Lewis were together, and the gigolo scandal was the talk of the Street for months.

Point 3: After Sally had a crush on John Stape and found out he was having relations with her daughter, if she had any idea at all about Audrey's prior involvement, she'd have told Gail to run a mile.

Edited to add:
Well, I watched the scene again and several of the commenters are, of course, correct. Gail never mentioned Lewis by  name. I was so sure she did and of course I knew who she was talking about. But without the name, it makes sense now! Whew! I thought surely the writers couldn't have gone that far out to lunch! Thanks  you guys!


Follow the Coronation Street Blog on Twitter and Facebook

13 comments:

vicky said...

Did Sally know they were talking about Lewis at this point or did she just think they were talking about some bloke? I can't remember most of this scene (there was beer last night), but the dialogue seems to imply that Sally didn't know the identity of who Gail was talking about. Maybe the scene was rewritten and that's how it was originally supposed to be?

Carry On Blogging! said...



I don't think Gail had told Sally it was Lewis she was having feelings for (felt sick typing that). If Sally didn't know who Gail's man was then both people would be unknown to Sally so that explains it??? Or am I wrong?

I found that little scene quite amusing by the way - more Gail and Sally scenes!

Tvor said...

Yes she knew. I watched it again and Gail had already told her that Lewis had kissed her and that he turned down a job for her. Sally gushed about how romantic it was.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Sally was being a bit sarcastic after finding out recently about Kevin moving in to try it on with Jenna? x

bbhilda said...

I got the impression that Gail hadn't told Sally who she was referring to. I don't remember hearing her actually mention Lewis' name. Which was why Sally asked her if it was Kevin she had the hots for.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't bizarre at all, you obviously missed the point of the scene. Gail hadn't told Sally that it was LEWIS who had kissed her so when Sally was guessing, she was guessing who Gail's mystery man was, NOT who Lewis's other woman was.

Tvor said...

Well I watched it a third time and you are all correct. Gail never mentioned Lewis by name and I could have sworn she did! It all makes more sense now!

Humpty Dumpty said...

Out of curiosity, I played this again on catch-up tv with the sub-titles and Gail says: 'We've been getting close for a while. Today he kissed me ...' Lewis's name wasn't mentioned. I guess Sally's going to twig when she sees them talking together.

Frosty the Snowman said...

Oh dah of course Sally didnt know who they were talking about, she would have been shocked to know it was Gail's mother's ex boyfriend! It did make me laugh when she thought it might be Keven and again why is that so strange, everyone goes on the bed hopping roundabout in Corrie and Sally was once having it off with Martin Platt as Gails ex! I love Sally and we need more of her and not when she is pandering around her hideous daughter either.

Corrie-Cakes said...

I think Sally was right in thinking it may be Kevin and that this was Gail's way of breaking the news to her. But what dream job would Kev be offerred? He is quite content where he is...always has been.
BTW anyone remember when Sally had a fling with Gail's ex - Martin? That caused a little friction at the time.

ChiaGwen said...

Oh TVOR your mind must have been elsewhere while watching Corrie..LOL! That bit of dialogue between Sally and Gail was hilarious when Sally burst out with, 'it's not Kevin is it?'...and Gail quickly covering up her reply of 'Kevin?' as if he were the most repulsive man in Weatherfield - to Sally's 'what's wrong with Kevin?' - 'well Kevin's just Kevin.' Great little scene.

Tvor said...

It was a great scene! And much funnier now that I realize what was going on :)))

Unknown said...

I remember Martin and Sally. I thought they made a nice couple but of course it's still a soap opera so it was destined to go nowhere.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!