Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 29 December 2012

Who should be the Corrie poster girl in 2013?

Us Corrie fans are always moaning on about which characters get too much screen time and which we feel like we never see. Looking back there is a clear pattern in recent years of certain characters hogging the limelight and appearing never to take a holiday - dare I mention Becky, Tina or Sean?? 

What normally happens is a character or actor will be so prominent they soon burn out and leave (Becky) or drift into the infamous Corrie cupboard (Sean). For me at the moment Tina McIntyre is in danger of burning out. She has been fairly prominent since first arriving on the Street five years ago and seems to be constantly to the fore. There doesn't seem to be the same rotation of cast members as in the old days and even then if Elsie Tanner or Bet Lynch tended to dominate, we never seemed to mind as much. Funny that!


So my question is, who do we think will be the Corrie poster girl for 2013? I say poster girl as I do believe the female characters dominate the show, and rightly so. Here is my shortlist of potential candidates for further discussion:

1. Tina McIntyre - We may as well get her out of the way immediately. I have a horrible feeling we may be seeing another full-on year for Tina as the surrogacy story drags on and probably peters out. Do we think this storyline may prove one step too far for our T?

2. Sophie Webster - We haven't seen that much of the Street's resident Christian lesbian of late. I had expected more of the Sophie/Ryan story than we actually got, but I shouldn't really complain as what we did get was extremely tedious. With a possible new romance on the boil (unless Kevin gets in the way - double eww) it would look like Sophie is coming back to centre stage. Sian who?

3. Kylie Platt - Now I love Kylie. She has really grown on me. And as I've said before I prefer Kylie to her sister, Becky. Kylie has been on the back burner a bit of late but her recent troubles with David and fling with Nick are set to bubble on and explode in the New Year. While I'm all for Paula Lane coming to prominence, I can't help but wish they had come up with a more original plot for her to act out.

4. Eva Price - I'm undecided on Eva. I know she has her fans amongst both blog followers and contributors but for me she is still a bit of a caricature and I just can't abide her spoilt nature. And I would never go so far as to compare her with the lovely, much-missed Raquel. There is no comparison! To be fair though, she is far superior to her on-screen mother, St Ella, who will hopefully be quickly forgotten when she departs in 2013 (fingers crossed!)


5. Hayley Cropper - I know she is a bit at odds with the others mentioned here, but Hayley does sum up Coronation Street for me and I just adore her. I would love Hayley to feature in a prominent story when Julie Hesmondhalgh returns from leave. It feels like ages since Roy and Hayley have had a big meaty storyline. I would love the Croppers, and Hayley in particular, to shine in 2013.

So that's my shortlist of possibles. What do you all think? Who would you like to see come to prominence next year? Anyone I've not included on this list? Are you crying out for more from Izzy, Katy or Fiz? Or what about Julie? Let's have your thoughts!

Follow the Coronation Street Blog on Twitter and Facebook

10 comments:

Janice said...

I think Eileen has been hug out to dry of late. For me she sums up the Corrie woman perfectly: strong, resilient, vulnerable, funny, compassionate, and a victim. I'd like for some meaty story lines with her. Someone had mentioned about an HIV story, may be Todd returns diagnosed as HIV positive? Perhaps Paul and Jason have a fall out. Or she helps Sean reconcile with his father after the death of his mother.

Anonymous said...

Something interesting including characters like Hayley, Emily or Eileen woud be different. However, I suspect we'll be seeing loads of Kylie, Gail and Tina.

Anonymous said...

More Hayley - sadly underused for ages. I would have said more Kylie, except I hate the sex with Nick story. The character deserves so much better.

More Audrey, Sally and Deirdre. Less Tina, Stella, Michelle. No Tracey, Sophie.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see more decent writing and "poster" plots for Emily, Audrey, Eileen, Katy, Rita, and, of course, Haley when Julie gets back. That would help interacting with others such as Lewis, Dennis, Izzy, (oh, pls bring back) Claudia Colby and Ted, Steve and Lloyd, etc.

Carry On Blogging! said...


Oh yes, please bring back the fabulous Claudia!

I also agree more screen time for Dennis would be excellent :)

Frosty the Snowman said...

Yes bring back Claudia who should have been landlady of the Rovers if Phil Collinsons BFF hadnt been at a lose end. I would go so far as to get rid of Tina, she is more popular for her looks than her acting skills and is such a misery character. 5 years is more than enough. More of Rita and Audrey. get rid of Sophie who is so tedious and a terrible actress along with Tracy, all that needs to be said about Kate Ford has been said. I have high hopes of Mr Blackburn, hope he delivers.

Anonymous said...

I really hope Mr. Blackburn makes a lot of cast changes. We need to get rid of some dead wood - Tracy for starters and no more pregnancies! Dev really needs to stock up on condoms in his shop! One of the other English soaps I watch culled a number of characters 2 and 3 at a time while introducing new and interesting returning characters. That's what Corrie desperately needs!

Anonymous said...

I think 2013 will be the Year of the Kylie. I love the character and actress but just wish she had a better storyline.

ChiaGwen said...

Love to see more stories with Roy and Hayley, maybe involving Craig and Bethany and Sylvia! If the producer could get rid of icky Paul, then have Eileen front and center but please....in a believable story. Diedre also needs to get out of that house and have another close friend...perhaps Gloria?

ChiaGwen said...

Love to see more stories with Roy and Hayley, maybe involving Craig and Bethany and Sylvia! If the producer could get rid of icky Paul, then have Eileen front and center but please....in a believable story. Diedre also needs to get out of that house and have another close friend...perhaps Gloria?

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!