Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Saturday 15 December 2012

Craig Charles on bringing the first black family to Coronation Street

I'm a huge fan of Craig Charles, not just for his acting on Coronation Street as Lloyd, but for his passion for music on the Craig Charles Funk and soul show on BBC 6. Awooga! Awooga! Awooga! It's the radio highlight of the week in our house.

Anyway, more power to the fella.  In a great interview with The Voice, Craig talks about bringing a black family into Coronation Street for the first time.


He says: “I have enjoyed having a black family in Coronation Street. It is the first ever in its history and I am quite shocked at that fact. It’s great to be involved with something that is quite iconic. It will always be the first black family, and after 50 years it’s about time really.”

Craig says it was his idea to bring in Corrie's first black family. “I actually suggested (bringing a black family to Coronation Street) to the script writers, I said, ‘look, there’s never been a black family, you’ve got me as a character, why not build one around me?’ We were trying to get it together for the 50th year anniversary but I had to film Red Dwarf so I took a lot of time off. Any street like Coronation Street, in Manchester will have a lot more than one black family on it. If you’re gonna do a show which is reflective of the community to do that you have to include everyone and Manchester is such a multicultural society. It’s who we are as a nation.”

He added: “We’ve come so far from the days when I was first on television and I’m quite chuffed it’s happened on Coronation Street, because Eastenders has had black families for years and Manchester’s not different from London.”

Craig also reveals that Lloyd's new family will have some explosive story lines. “I’m working really hard on Coronation Street at the moment, I have a daughter and an ex Mrs. and it’s all set to kick of, there’s gonna be a lot of crazy things happening to test Lloyd.”

Follow the Coronation Street Blog on Twitter and Facebook

15 comments:

Carry On Blogging! said...


I really like Lloyd and I'm glad they've given him a family. Mandy is so much better than the last woman he was involved with! Jemma is yet to grow on me but I guess we haven't seen that much of her yet.

Anonymous said...

I agree that there should be a black family it's just that I'm not sold on the one they've chosen for Lloyd nor the story around it . I am not convinced that Lloyd would be attracted to Mandy even though they have chosen a good actress to play her amd even tho shes supposedly an old flame It's just typical of the suspension of disbelief that we are constantly expected to stomach under Phil C's control. Never mind at least when they are on screen it gives Michelle Keegan a rest .As for Lloyd's new storylines I may switch over

Anonymous said...

I think it is brilliant - they all work so well together and brings a more peaceful harmony to some of the residents on the street - a lot better than the constant bickering of Carla/Peter/Leanne/Nick and the surrogacy story.

Anonymous said...

I'm very surprised they've not introduced a black family. Completely slipped past me. Glad they've brought one in, but even gladder they've created decent characters (one of them a well established and liked character for years)instead of just the usual "I don't care about storylines or characterisation, just make them black for the impact" attitude that so many shows take these days.

Anastasia said...

I would have preferred Lloyd's siblings or parents to arrive. This long-lost daughter cliche came on the heels of Stella and Leanne and after the dud Michelle's switched-at-birth son. I also dislike the cliche with 'the love of my life whom I have never ever spoken about in all these years". What, Lloyd had amnesia? I like Mandy but would have better if she were his sister and Jenna his niece. One minute he is brooding to Eileen about never having had children then presto, in walks a long-lost daughter. I deserve better.

Anonymous said...

Lloyd and Marcus are the staple of decent blokes on the Street. I'd love to see them do more with both, giving them more depth, friends and family.

Anonymous said...

PS I think they also need to add another ginger to the club. Get in their Graham N.! :)

Anonymous said...

Lloyd is another character who has flip flopped from one persona to another. I watched as he had a total meldown after Cheryl left..her being 'the love of his life'...and trashing the apt etc..crying like a baby to Steve..making a pass at Stella and then finally leaving Weatherfield because there were too many memories etc etc..ugh ugh ugh..
Now...Mandy was the love of his life and they're shacked up and he's now Guru Lloyd..dispensing worldly advise whenever the mood strikes. I like Mandy though but she needs a meatier storyline than just another bar-maid plus, she actually looks like a normal woman..not a little stick woman like so many others on this show.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Craig, but Manchester is different from London. A lot different. Maybe you and Collinson should remember that and stop trying to turn the programme into EastEnders, with long lost relatives and exes popping up on every street corner. The words "explosive story lines" frankly make me feel ill. Why on earth couldn't you have met a nice woman who had a grown up daughter.

Carry On Blogging! said...


Anonymous, I worry there may be more than enough gingers in Weatherfield already!!

rita duck said...

i lke lloyd i dont like being treated like fool we love corrie and the charcters but the producers are making it up as they go along stuck mandy in the pub as a black betty shes only been there 2 mins and and is making comments about the rest of the street as if she as been there forever give us credit i think mandy is agood charecter but there pushing her a bit quick

BarrieT said...

I think its great to have a black family but i actually preferred him with cheril (as he pronounced it) the actress who plays mandy is not convincing - she is quite amateur so i just don't believe her and lloyd make a good couple. jenna is ok.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Mandy isn't turning out quite the way I expected. I thought she would be a funky lady with a brilliant sense of humour which would have suited Lloyd's character. Have to admit that I'm stereotyping the actress because of her 'traditional build' (Mma Ramotswe). Sorry but Mandy and Gemma are a bit boring at the moment.

Anonymous said...

I can't take to Mandy or Jenna - I don't like the characters or the way they are played by the actresses.

Mandy in particular though - very pushy for a new character, has far to much to say on matters that don't concern her. She acts like she's known everyone for years.

Ditch them now I say.

ChiaGwen said...

While its great Lloyd has a family I would have preferred his child to be a lot younger than Jenna. Mandy seems more like a sister to Lloyd than the love of his life - they just don't go together and she is becoming increasingly annoying behind that bar and agree she has become too familiar with the locals in such a short time.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!