Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 5 August 2012

Sam Robertson wants to return to Corrie as Adam Barlow

There's an interview in today's Daily Star that's made me giggle. Anyone remember Adam Barlow, as played by Sam Robertson?  Sam says he wants another go at playing Adam on Corrie, just to prove he really can act and he admits the first time around on Corrie, he wasn't all that great. Oh, you don't say?

Sam joined Corrie in 2004 as Adam Barlow, Mike Baldwin’s son and Ken Barlow’s grandson.

He told the Daily Star Sunday: “I wasn’t a very good actor back then. It’s as simple as that. I was getting recognised all the time and getting all this attention but I didn’t think I had earned it. I knew I was doing a pretty sh*t job and I was too scared to learn on the job. I was in it for two-and-a-half years and I did definitely improve because I had never acted before in my life. But it was some of the worst Corrie acting, to be fair. I was with two of the show’s biggest stars and I had never read a script in my life before. I was a rabbit in the headlights. Now I look back and see the amazing opportunity but at the time I just couldn’t cope with it.”

And he admitted: “A part of me wants to go back just for a few episodes just to show I can actually act."

Sam is back on TV and starring in E4 show Beaver Falls which returns tomorrow night at 10pm.

Follow the Coronation Street Blog on Twitter and Facebook

11 comments:

njblas said...

Yes, I'd like to see him back for a few episodes - his acting can only have improved - surely? It is totally ridiculous that his character hasn't been mentioned for years, even in passing, by Ken, Deirdre or Peter. I have a feeling however, that a more likely scenario (if Adam does ever return) would be that the character will be re-cast. Best of luck to you Sam!

Llifon said...

Will he have a better haircut if he returns? :P

Tvor said...

How on earth did he ever get hired if he'd never even read a script before? Surely Corrie hires actors that have had some training and know one end of a script from the other. Was he the boss's nephew or something?

Anonymous said...

What? I couldn't understand one word he said. No way.

Barrie.T said...

Sam was actually a model and was cast for his looks, it often happens unfortunately...look at adam ricket. i would like to know if sam has actually been to any acting lessons since his stint on corrie as that would prove he was serious about acting, otherwise they may as well recast him with a proper actor.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Tvor - he should have never been allowed to step foot on the cobbles without any acting experience. Can you imagine all the committed actors out there who'd have given anything for a chance at that role? How could he possibly have been a model? A model of ridiculous haircuts emphaizing bland looks? Ridiculous! And now we should believe that he's capable of acting? Get lost.

Humpty Dumpty said...

Lack of acting experience didn't stop Kym Marsh being cast for her looks. Sam was 13 when he first appeared and we have a problem in England with child actors. Usually, they're rubbish because of the restriction on the hours they can have away from school to train. Tbh, even those child actors who had read scripts turned out to be dire eg Brooke Vincent. Alex Bains is the exception to the rule.

njblas said...

Sam Robertson first appeared as Adam in 2004. Sam (born in 1985)would have been 18 or 19 at the time . The character was previously played by Iain de Caestecker (born in 1987), who would have been 13 or 14 when Adam was introduced in 2001.

Vik said...

NO! Worst actor ever in Corrie and every time I saw him I wanted to shave his head.

Anonymous said...

I remember his only line of dialogue seemed to be "I'm not going back to skewwwl."

Cobblestone said...

Was he really in it for two & a half years? I don't remember any of his storylines other than being the awkward biological link between Mike & Ken. Must have blanked him out.
Actors do learn their craft, though, and he may be a decent actor now (I haven't seen him in Bever Falls, but if the show is An American production, we have to assume he has now tamed his accent) Not saying he SHOULD. be brought back, but I have to condemn the practice of casting inexperienced kids. It's really not fair on them, nor on actors who have trained.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!