Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Coronation Street fan of the week - Nick in Manchester

It's Wednesday and time to meet another Corrie fan of the week. If you would like to be our Corrie fan of the week, have a look here. 

Who are you and where are you from?
My name is Nick (NickJay6 - Twitter) and whilst I was born in London,  I've been a Southener most of my life, living in Eastbourne  for over 30 years and now residing in Manchester.

How long have you been watching Corrie?
Well I used to watch as a child when it first started for a while (my mum used to watch and I watched with her and enjoyed it. I was rather on and off for a while but more recently I've been virtually a die hard watcher since about late 1998 and try never to miss an episode these days, although I still watch and enjoy Emmerdale and Eastenders. :)

Who are your favourite female and male characters - and the reasons why?
Very good/tough question this one. There have been so many both past *and* present! I suppose my favourite female character now would have to be Deirdre (Annie Kirkbride) because she has been involved with so many strong storylines over the years and always tries to be such a good mum even under such duress that Tracey gives her. She's also a lovely person off-screen as well, as indeed are most if not all of them, of course. It was a very close call for me between Dierdre and Betty Turpin, played of course by the lovely and much missed Betty Driver. Her hotpot still lives on to this day thanks to Sean Tully. Good ol' Sean. lol.

My favourite male character is also a toughie - so many to choose from - Jack Duckworth (Bill Tarmey),Lloyd, Steve McDonald, Chesney, Sean etc but I think overall Jack Duckworth has to be my choice. Great storylines and acting over many years. Some hilarious ones and his interactions with Vera (Liz Dawn) were both comical and serious but always brilliantly acted. I miss them both a lot.

What's been some of your favourite Corrie storylines over the years?
Again so many to choose from - Chesney having to have Schmiechel put down, the death of Alma, the tram crash storyline was amazing, the Richard Hillman ones, Vera's death was so moving and again brilliantly supported by Bill Tarmy as Jack. Also the classic episode with 2 more briliant characters, namely Hilda Ogden (the brilliantly amazing and much missed Jean Alexander) with her Stan (Bernard Youens). After they kiss, Stan licking his lips and those immortal words ... "What's that lipstick taste of?" ... "Woman, Stanley. Woman!" Brilliant!! And then she could turn from that to the tragically sad scene of her and his possessions in that brown paper package with her sitting on her own at the table opening it. Sheer brilliance in the acting and in the writing.

And what would your fantasy Corrie storyline be?
Oh I don't know. Actually yes I do ... my fantasy Corrie storyline would be any episode in which I was able to be an extra and watch all theamazing cast and crew. Whenever they film locally I love to be there and watch, although sadly they're usually inside one of the houses where you can't see what's going on rather than outside but I'd love to be an extra on the show - either Corrie or Eastenders - well you did say fantasy, Glenda. lol

Have you any snippets or news about meeting any of the Corrie cast, or trips to the set, etc., that you'd like to share?
I met the wonderful Jack Howarth (Albert Tatlock) at a Mencap charity dog racing night at Brighton & Hove Stadium many years ago which he, amongst other celebrities (Brian Rix I remember) were in attendance.

I briefly met Bill Tarmey coming out of the Central Library in histrackies one day as I was waiting outside. I said hello but as my father had been in show business himself (In the late 40s through to the early 60s), I know these people have busy lives and respect their privacy so, much as I wanted to stop to chat, I resisted the urge. I once spent a pleasant 4 or 5 hours one afternoon in Withington Road, Whalley Range watching the great Liz Dawn and Bill Tarmey (sorry to keep mentioning you Bill but can't help it lol) filming some scenes. You may remember Jack had come out of hospital after a heart attack and he and Vera were staying in a guest house in Blackpool (yeah right! lol) and he'd popped outside to have a crafty fag and Vera comes out looking for him and catches him in the act. She starts to get angry but not for long and it was a briliant scene as I recall. Only on screen for maybe 2 minutes but they filmed it over and over using different camera angles and so on. Bill must have got through about 30 fags that day - lighting one up, taking a puff or two then let's do it again and out would come a new one. An amazing insight into the workings of the cast and crew.

Finally I suppose it's worth mentioning that I was very lucky and fortunate enough to do the Granada Studio Tour 3 times and was able to see the briliant outside set. This was in the day we could visit of course. How I miss not being able to now and wouldn't it be wonderful if, once Granada move to Media City if they left the set there and people could visit it once again? I've no idea if that's in the plans or not but if it's not it damn well should be! If I was a millionaire, I'd buy it and use it for that very purpose!! :) Very many happy memories.


Follow the Coronation Street Blog on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!