Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 8 July 2011

The Rehabilitation of Owen

Corrie has been doing something rather dastardly with that Owen Armstrong just lately. They've been making me like him. Only grudgingly, so far, but still...the starting to like is definitely there.

I feel rather strange about this. I have loathed Owen since he first showed up. For months now, almost a year in fact, he has been presented as a bully with no redeeming features whatsoever, and I was quite happy to loathe him with a fiery passion accordingly. But all of a sudden we are starting to see other, softer sides to the character, the peeling back of layers, which makes it appear that maybe he does have redeeming features after all.

The rehabilitation of Owen Armstrong has been coming on for a while now. It's been hinted at in odd scenes, suggested via spoilers. But I never really believed that how I felt about the character might change, the loathing was too deep-seated, the damage already done...

Except that apparently I'm easy to manipulate after all. Despite all those months of loathing and determination not to give it up, I can feel myself beginning to bend. After all Owen's furious opposition to young Katy's pregnancy - which, if I'm honest, I really can't blame him for - now that he's accepted it, he's starting to become supportive, even proving himself useful both in a practical and advice-giving sense, albeit in his own gruff way. Got to respect the man for that. And after all his hostility toward young Chesney since he took up with Katy, over the last few weeks he has really taken the lad under his wing just when he needed support the most. Again, got to respect the man for that.

Anna seems to like him, too, and I do love Anna, so maybe her liking of him is swaying me a little as well.

Fair play to you, Corrie. You've got me. Your tactics are working. Even though I've been aware the whole time of how deliberate the rehabilitation strategy has been, I have been unable to remain immune.

The question is, though, will the very grudging starting to like ever make it all the way to a full blown I really like this character now? Only time will tell.

7 comments:

IamSimon said...

Wow! I was going to make a blog about this the other day! It's strange how he's turned from SUPER nasty to SUPER nice...a massive change of character! I however really enjoyed his nasty side and thought that the storyline with Eileen was brilliant!

Tvor said...

I hope the PErsonality Transplant Fairies haven't changed him completely. It's good to soften him a bit and show that he really does support and love his daughters even if he's over protective. We know his especially about Izzy. I think his wife leaving him with a disabled child and a younger daughter to bring up on his own likely left him with a lot of resentment and anger and we've seen that so far. Good to see another side.

Anonymous said...

It's a ploy. He knows that disapproving just drove Katy further into Chesney's arms and subjected her to dead-end poverty. He's switched tactics to try to win them round, so he can control them more and will probably end up trying to sell their baby to the Croppers. He bought Anna's house because he likes her and being her knight in shining armour is the best way to win her over, so that he can later control her because she'll feel like she owes him for keeping a roof over her head so she could keep Faye. I really like Anna's personality and she seems to understand and win over otherwise difficult people; we'll see where she ends up with Owen.

Anonymous said...

Owen and Anna...I can see chemistry there. Let's hope they don't just rush the romance. I'll bet Faye gets all jealous of Owen and starts lying accuses him of trying to molest her. Anna, of course will believe the little pants on fire and Owen will spend time in jail. See? How hard is it to write script for this show. Honestly.

Frosty the Snowman said...

I disagree, I cant see the chemistry at all between them. If they got ride of Eddie then I am sorry then the simpering Anna with her devil child Faye should have gone as well. I have always liked Owen and he is played by an excellent actor. I wouldnt like to see him become too soft either, he is the man with the edge who you would think twice about crossing.

Cobblestone said...

I agree with Frosty in that Owen should retain his edge. No-one is a black & white character (except Jess Quiggley, and we can forgive that!) and even the most beligerant man will have his softer side, so the reabilitation is justified, but the sense of danger is also an important aspect of Owen's character. Keep it.

Kiwifruit & Cheese said...

I do feel some chemistry between Owen & Anna, and I rather like it when a rotton sod is shown to have a soft side. I just hope they don't go down the whole Shelly/Charlie road with it.

If they kept him with a mean side to others but a soft side with Anna I'd be ok with that. It still leaves him with an edge... he'd just be a b'stard with a soft centre....yum!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!