Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 13 June 2011

There’s something (not quite right) about James

Okay, I’ll admit it – I actually like James Cunningham (and it's not just because his hair can rival that of Rita, Audrey and Claudia combined in the 'who's got the biggest hair' contest). I think it has something to do with how posh he is, it just makes me smile how out of place his accent is on the Street. And he works for a charity so he can't be that bad. Or can he?

It is becoming particularly obvious now poor Sophie and Sian are involved with him and the soup kitchen that there’s definitely something up with him.
It is a bit suspicious that he’d leave two teenage girls on their own to look after the kitchen (when they have only been there a couple of weeks as it is) on the day that they just happen to get robbed. I don’t buy it and I will be incredibly surprised if this isn’t revealed as some big plot to fund the halfway house that James keeps going on about.

In many ways I am happy that they are showing his darker side, but at the same time I am disappointed that they are taking the character down this route. When James first returned to the Street I was looking forward to lots of scenes between him and Ken discussing politics and the world beyond the cobbles of the street and I think they could have made a fun (if not a bit pretentious) double act. But if what has been previously reported turns out to be true, then I doubt Ken will ever be as welcoming to James as he was this time around.
Just think, Ken and his mini-me discussing the important issues of the world while Deirdre witters on about her stuffed marrows in the background.

4 comments:

Tvor said...

I agree, there's more to James than meets the eye. It would be boring if he turned out to be a Ken mini-me though really, aside from their differences in liberal/ultra-conservative views, I think Ken's son Lawrence is far more his mini-me!

Anonymous said...

Yet another bad egg arrives on the street. You could show a movie on this guy's forehead.

Looney Baloon said...

Hm James is very clever, he didnt ask for money from Sophie and Sian outright, just inferred it was their fault and their responsibility. I am disappointed that he isnt just going to be a regular guy either. Now we read Tommy Duckworth is going to try and dupe money out of Amber/theAlaghans. Is there nobody honest on the Street any longer, a sad reflection.

Llywela said...

I'm still hoping against hope that James won't turn out to be an out and out baddie. I mean, surely there's all kinds of potential to build him up as a fully fledged member of the Barlow clan! I think I might be one of the few people who really enjoyed the brief storyline around Lawrence and James last year - short and superficial it might have been, but there was some fantastic character work in there as well, and it was possible to trace the family resemblance in both Lawrence and James in their different ways. I can see so much of both Ken and Peter in James, as well as being his own person - it would have been great if they'd built on that and allowed him to form genuine relationships, even if he isn't going to stick around long.

As it is, I fear the worst - leaving Sophie and Sian alone at the shelter just prior to it supposedly being robbed was just too much of a set-up (insurance scam maybe?) and James definitely manipulated the girls into believing it was their fault. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see whether or not he turns out to be redeemable.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!