Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 10 June 2011

Kevin Kennedy hopeful that Curly will return to Coronation Street

There's an interview with Kevin Kennedy, who played Curly Watts on Corrie, to promote him starring as Pop in We Will Rock You.  In that interview, Kevin talks about playing Curly on Corrie and says he remains hopeful that Curly will return to the cobbles one day.  Ooh, I do hope so.  Below are the pertinent bits from the interview and here's the link to the full thing.

Twenty years of your working life as Curly Watts on Coronation Street, the world’s longest running TV soap opera. How would you describe this part of your life?

At the beginning, it was like a job at home. I had been working in London for a year and a half, worked on Keep on Running (BBC) in Cardiff, working with my friends from drama school. I would now be at home where I could pay rent and my mum would do my washing and look after me again! I originally only signed up for four episodes and I did not think that my time on the show would reach twenty years. It was really just a brilliant time.

Did your personality manage to influence the character of Curly over the years or did the story writers entirely control the character?

I was very lucky as they liked what I did. Essentially when you start as a character the producers then watch what you do and if they like it they will then work with it. I was very fortunate as they wrote some really fantastic storylines for me. It was a very interesting time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. They also let me go off to do things while I was in Coronation Street. For example they let me go off to the Sheffield Crucible to play Hamlet, which was just brilliant. Tracie Bennett helped me to get the part of Hamlet, with Clare Venables being the Artistic Director of the Crucible. I was also allowed time-out to go and play in the first National Tour of No Sex Please We’re British, which cemented my love of farce.

Do you miss being part of a soap-opera family of actors?

I miss it very much as I practically grew up there. It wasn’t just the cast of course, but also the crew and directors, I am still on great terms with everyone there and hopefully one day Curly will return.

6 comments:

Tvor said...

I'd love to see Curly back but they'd have to have a good storyline for him to properly fit in. There's only a few people left that he'd really know as mates.

Anonymous said...

Only if Reggie comes back too !

Frosty the Snowman said...

I wouldnt particiularly want to see him back, he would not be the Curley we remembered but a middle aged man now and characters are of their time, I dont agree with them being dragged back when it was time for them to go 20 years ago, and before you quote Dennis Tanner at me, what has he done since the big fanfare of his return? Just stood behind the Kabin counter with Rita. If Reg Holdsworth returned I definitely would be switching off, one of the most awful characters EVER!

Anonymous said...

Corrie have missed opportunities to return him, like Vera's funeral, or Jack's. Didnt he lodge with them at one point?

Anonymous said...

he could be a friend for kev?

Anonymous said...

Curly as a character lost his point the minute Raquel left him. In the last few years he was in the street he went from the pointless to the ridiculous (remember we were meant to belive he had slept with Maxine?!) and when his time to go came up I breathed a sigh of relief. Characters have a life span, some short some 50 years but Curlys time has been and gone. As for Reg, do me a favour!- Micky

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!