Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 22 April 2011

Nodding to Coronation Street history

The blog is abuzz with the news of the return of Dennis Tanner. I'm all fizzy with excitement too because I love it when we see the return of a former character. It draws on the show's long history, rewards long time fans and gives a lot more depth to the show, too. 

Naturally, it's inspired a long blog post that talks about nods to the past, touches on Dennis' connections to the modern day Coronation Street, and with the news that Norris is going to be annoyed at the new arrival, I've also wondered if Norris isn't the new Percy Sugden ready to defend his position against those see sees as the enemy coming over the top at him? Have a read and tell us what you think.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I love Norris for the reasons you dislike him! The actor always does a good job at being outraged and at the same time gleeful at the local gossip.

Tvor said...

The actor is fantastic! I have no quibble about Malcom Hebden at all!

Rachel said...

Ah, I didn't think you did - I meant Norris is an amusing character because he's so moral and yet so nosy and takes pleasure in being outraged in other people's bad behaviour/misfortune.

Tvor said...

Ah right, but i never liked Norris even when he was first in the show, giving Derek and Mavis a hard time. I think he takes pleasure in taking the moral high ground, being nosy and being judgemental. But i know a lot of people think he's funny. I do enjoy the character, i just don't like him! :)))

Anonymous said...

I find Norris a little creepy...a nosy old man all by his lonesome. If it wasn't for Rita and Emily and even Mad Mary playing off this character, I would not enjoy this character at all.

I'm looking forward to the Dennis Tanner character giving Norris some grief.

Anonymous said...

I am soooooo chuffed about the return of our Dennis! I have been wondering if they will show his name in the cement from 1951 any time soon under the window. He just HAS to be related to Eileen! His mum's maiden name being Grimshaw........xxx....Eden

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!