Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Looking forward to Dennis Tanner's Corrie return


I'm just chuffed to little mint balls that Dennis Tanner is going to make a comeback!

I wasn't watching Coronation Street back then but I've read lots of the books and seen plenty of video specials and episodes on tape. I just love it when Corrie gives a nod to its history, whether in dialogue or bringing an old character back, even if just for a little while.

This photo is a screen capture from The Stars of Coronation Street, one of the specials that was aired around the 50th anniversary. It is Rita Littlewood's very first scene as a friend of Dennis Tanner. She was an exotic dancer then. How young was Barbara Knox? (She was Barbara Mullaney then)! I do hope they make sure to have a scene between the two as old aquaintances in addition to interaction with Ken and Emily who would have known Dennis best. I'm hoping he will bring news of Elsie. I'd like to think she had a happy ending when she went off to Portugal even if she's now passed on.

But it doesn't really matter what the premise is. It's a nod back to Corrie's past and I'm another one looking forward to it!

6 comments:

Llifon said...

Barbara would've been 31 in 1964. I hope they interact. I'd be disappointed if their history's ignored.

John Tomlinson said...

Whereas some of joe public may be saying "who?", I think most Corrie fans are as delighted as you are, Tvor. I know I am.

BarrieT said...

I bought the corrie 1960's DVD and love Dennis Tanner, he's very funny and philip lowrie is a good actor. It would be nice to know what happened to Elsie but seeing as she never mentioned him and he never visited it would only seem right if they say they had been estranged, but I'm sure they will re-write history. It would be nice if he came back with Jed Stone.

Anonymous said...

Eeeeebygumlad you haven't half grown up.... I am a lifer and can't wait for Dennis to make his reappearance. I really miss the solid male character actors from the past. Such as, Fred Elliott, Mike Baldwin, Jack Duckworth, Len Fairclough et al. I think that Dennis will add some of that northern chip off the old block and fit right in. Here's hoping Dennis is the answer to the doldrums that have invaded Corrie since Fred left, except for the tram crash....LOVE IT!!

Anonymous said...

It's great to have the old faces back!

Anonymous said...

I remember Dennis from the very start of Corrie, he was always the cheeky chappie, blamed for everything even when innocent - I wonder how they will cast him now, can't still be a loveable rogue.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!