Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Wednesday 1 December 2010

Corrie special effects are going to blow us away

The explosion and crash next week that is going to devastate Coronation Street took a lot of planning and detail work to make it look real. With that in mind, the special effects team headed by Danny Hargreaves got stuck in months ago and they're hoping that what they've created is going to be "da bomb" (pun intended!)

There's an interview with Danny Hargreaves in the MEN today. They used a combination of CGI and real explosions and fire to create a very realistic scenario. He says "I always think it’s nice to have real people and action at the heart of things." which is why the effects aren't all CGI. I agree. I think CGI has it's place but real people and real heat and fire and smoke always work better for me.

They've brought out that tired line about filming several outcomes so the cast "still" don't know who lives or dies which is pretty dumb since they've been filming funerals and other scenes since then and would know already who's for the off.

That aside, it's interesting to read about their approach. I'd love to see a "behind the scenes" special (not just on ITV's website because I can't see that, not living in the U.K.!) on how it all came together!

6 comments:

Mark said...

I'm really looking foward to seeing the effects. I saw the tram perched on top of Stage One some time back and a happened to be passing the street set when I saw a hearse going in for filming.
You are right Tvor - why keep pretending they film lots of endings when they've already filmed the aftermath.
I've been letting my mind wander over storylines for next year at my blog.
http://markllewellin.blogspot.com

Tvor said...

Yes! I read that and had a good chuckle!

Anonymous said...

Do you think they will release the special weeks worth of episodes on DVD? Does anybody know??

Danny-K said...

There are times when by their very nature 'soaps' remind you of their inherent preposterousness. If it's all handled well, and entertainingly, I can live with it - after all that's all we ask isn't it - to be entertained?

But at the moment I'm not overly interested in watching the forthcoming 50th anniversary celebration specials whether live or otherwise - particularly after just reading somewhere that, either this week or next week, John Stape joins Charlotte to dine with her parents whilst agreeing to be Colin Fishwick again.

I just can't bring myself to watch such an unbelievable rubbish plot development. Proof positive that they've quite happily descended into making the John Stape character an empty, cartoon-like figure as a sacrifice in the search for a pre-tram-crash ratings boost.

So, if I'm busy on other stuff, I'll do what I always do when a favourite soap goes into a periodic to-silly-for-words phase
- I'll miss out on the next couple of episodes until I feel that I'm not being deliberately insulted as a viewer.

After all, it's only another 5 weeks or so and ALL this madness will be over, it'll be 2011 and hopefully normal service will once again be resumed.

Better that, than moaning on here, clogging up other's enjoyment, eh?

Glenda Young said...

Apple Cobbler - please stop posting advance storylines on the blog. We will get into trouble with ITV!

Apple Cobbler said...

Sorry! I didn't know that posting advance storylines would get the people at ITV all angry. Ironic considering the spoilers were from the ITV press agency. Apologises.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!