Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Sunday 23 May 2010

Corrie Extra Resembles Man in Goodfellas Painting

Can anyone help me out here? Rebecca has blogged recently about noticing the background music more, in the Rovers. Well, I've been noticing the extras. One chap in particular seems to be in a lot of scenes, and I'm really curious as to who he is, and why he's in Corrie so much!
I cannot find any photographs of him, or references to him, so am posting this picture of Tommy's mother's painting, from Scorsese's Goodfellas, in the hope that someone - maybe even the guy himself! - will know who I mean. He's got white hair and a beard with kind of grey streaks through it, and he really does look a lot like the guy in the painting. What is it de Niro says in the film? "Looks like someone we know!"

8 comments:

Tvor said...

If it's the guy i think it is, he's been an extra for years! I remember him with much darker hair, very thick hair and full beard and have watched him grow greyer through the years. He used to be nicknamed "The Ripper" because he was rather scary looking when he wasn't as grey!

Sea Penguin said...

Yeh, that's him I reckon. He's got kind of a pointy nose, as well. Looks a bit like a folk singer, to me.

Glenda Young said...

Yes, he's been in Corrie for years as an extra and so if he's reading this by any chance and would like to be interviewed for the blog, do please get in touch!

Deborah said...

He's a friend of my friend Darran who has also been an extra for over 15 years. I believe his name is Peter.

Sea Penguin said...

Sounds like a great job Deborah. It hadn't occurred to me that they keep the same extras for years, but when you think about it makes sense, and adds to that feeling of continuity.

Anonymous said...

He's an old friend of mine, though I've not seen him for nearly 40 years. His name is Don. I won't give his surname just in case he doesn't wish to be identified.... and for the same reason, I shall remain anonymous but I shall follow the blog in case he does wish to be "outed" fully.

Anonymous said...

Further to my previous comment... many apologies but - having now been in touch with my old friend - it appears I was wrong... he has not appeared in the Rovers for a long time and, in any event, he is quite a lot older, and slimmer than the person you are all looking to identify.

Once again, apologies for the mistake.

Unknown said...

He used to work at Teversal pit till it closed in 1980 he was already in Coronation St in the late 70s 👍🏻

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!