Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Monday 15 March 2010

Writing for all ages

Inspired by a comment from one of our regular readers, John, made on this post, as always, I got thinking and my reply grew so long that it warranted a blog post of its own. I'm just like that! John mentioned that the new producer of Corrie, Phil Collinson, remarked that he would like to re-focus on the older characters. I rather think that "older" doesn't necessarily mean age-wise but seniority wise and in that, I think Corrie does quite well with the mix, both age wise and seniority wise. They not only introduce new young aged characters but characters of all ages. Maybe the problem isn't age at all but the recent trend to continually focus on a flavour of the month/year time and again and leaving other great cast members in the storyline closet? Anyway, you can read more about it here.

3 comments:

John said...

Aw shucks, I'm honoured!

I started watching Coronation Street in my early 20s (my first regular episode - Annie Walker held hostage in her bedroom).

I often read that the younger characters are necessary to appeal to young viewers, but even when I WAS young, it was always the older characters that kept me watching, and the younger ones that I was more indifferent to. And I am pretty sure I'm not the only one that thinks that way.

Llifon said...

Must agree. Got to remember that when Corrie started, it was Ena and Annie (both in their 50s and 60s) who were the main focus, while younger ones like Ken and Ray didn't really bloom until the 1970s.

Tvor said...

Well i used to answer the email for corrie.net and when there was a new "younger" character, particularly the males, we'd get reams of email for those characters or asking for autographs. Corrie.net of course, cannot provide that as we have no direct line to the actors so all we could do was give them Granada's snail mail address. I'd say the "fit" younger actors do bring in younger viewers and keep many of them. Some of the biggest draws back then were a younger Jason and Todd, Craig Harris, and Tina O'Brien.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!