Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 20 November 2009

General Custard - for local people

Is it just me or is Jesse a bit 'local'? I mean that in a League of Gentlemen sense. All the talk tonight about his Uncle Sid and mum putting a spread on... it was all a bit "local shop for local people" for my liking.

It did provide comic relief though, which I guess was the point. Mammy Connor is quite good at the comic relief herself, but in her case I don't think it's intentional.

John Thomson is a great actor though. I've been a Fast Show fan for years, so unlike my better half who can't believe John's "lowered himself" to Corrie, I'm glad to see him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fine, he's a great actor, but actors still need to play interesting, well-thought-out characters and follow a plot that makes some sense.

I don't know the reason for his character - other than to provide a love interest for Eileen and this odd rivalry for half sister Julie.

It's not working that well...not all that funny - just strange. His character and the storyline just wasn't flushed out as well as it should have been...

Ena's Hairnet said...

I agree, Jessee is dull as ditchwater despite the "attempts" at comedy with General Custard and without Julie as Hiyalowa he is just flat as a pancake. The character just doesnt "gel" and all this mummys boy business is just pathetic. He doesnt seem to making Eileen happy either so what exactly is the point of him?

Anonymous said...

Er, sorry Rebecca, I think local is good - having been brought up in a street just along the croft from Coronation Street it's this sort of thing that gives Corrie its specialness and its credibility (for me anyway!). It may not mean much to people south of the Ship Canal but it made me smile. Now all we need is Roy and Hayley introducing afternoon tea with a pot of tea and a plate of mixed fancies. Or is that too local too? ;-)
Dolly Tubb

Rebecca said...

Hey, now, I'm not further south than the Ship Canal. A bit north of it, actually.

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!