Cosy crimes and gritty sagas by Corrie Blog editor Glenda, published by Headline. Click pic below!

Friday 31 July 2009

Is Graeme the new Fred Elliot?

Now, I know Fred Elliot was one of the iconic Corrie characters and his absence leaves a large pair of shoes to be filled. Fred was eccentric, brash, and a little bit tragic. He had a heart as big as all outdoors and he loved his family and friends. I'm taking a long leap comparing Graeme to Fred, I know, but bear with me for a minute.

Graeme is also eccentric. Yet he has an innocence about him for all his dodgy pyromaniac past. He's sweet, yet street smart. He doesn't mince words, and he's kind and good hearted. He's always coming out with wonderful lines and observations, much like Fred though in a more bizarre way. Ok, he's totally off the wall and Fred wasn't like that but I think he's got potential. And so far, he's got that "loser in love" thing going. He did seem to have eyes for Tina at one point and he even tried to chat up Fiz but neither of them came to anything much.

Craig Gazey is a real find and Graeme has struck a collective "w00t!" in the hearts of Corrie viewers just like Fred did all those years ago, as did Roy Cropper, but I can't say Graeme is the new Roy because we've still got one of those. What do you think?

8 comments:

Niamh W said...

I think he's more like Kirk to be honest!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can see definitely see the similarities between Graeme and Fred.

I don't think Graeme is like Kirk though. Kirk is thick, whereas Graeme does come out with some quite intelligent remarks.

Anonymous said...

I'm not keen on Graeme because I don't think the actor is acting the part because he seems exactly the same in real life more or less. If he was completely different then I might like Graeme more.

Unknown said...

Graeme does bare some similarities to Fred actually, I say, I say.

You know though, I think Graeme is really an entirely new character of his own. A lot of character-types get recycled. But I can't think of anyone that Graeme's character quite embodies that has been on the show before. Maybe a combination of a few old characters?

Anonymous said...

I love him, and i've loved him since the scene where he was lying on david's sofa talking about how he'd do agyness deyn's mam's garden "free of charge". I love how he just rambles on and people stand looking at him bemused. There's something really quite sad and benign about Graeme and i'd love to see the writers give him more of a backstory. I think craig gazey is great too, and i think he's genuinely concerned about the character too and the writing. I break into a huge smile whenever he comes on. Mainly because yes, i have a huge crush on him. It's okay, i had a dodgy few months where i was lying to myself, but now i've come to terms with it. Crushin on Graeme and proud!

Tvor said...

He is his own character, i didn't mean to imply he was a Fred replica so much as a Fred *type*. In fact, i wish Fred was still around to see what he'd make of Graeme. Much eye rolling, i think. I think Graeme is probably Roy's alter. We know that Roy had a rough childhood and retreated into nerdishness and books and was a loner. I think Graeme had the same kind of rough childhood and he went towards fire and lawlessness but he's not aggressive enough to be a hardened criminal. He's more outgoing and friendly than Roy but has the same sense of being life's observer in some ways.

Rebecca said...

I love Craig, and I see what you're saying, and I also like the comment above about him being like Roy's 'alter'. I'd love to see more of a backstory on him too.

Clare said...

I really really love Graeme, he's often the voice of reason plus who can deny the hilarity he brings to Corrie. He never fails to brighten up any scene he is involved in. I love him working in the butchers doing 'butcherings' as he put it himself, i loved it when he used to break into song. I especially loved when he punched Steve for a fee lol. I agree that he's a character in his own right but i do see where you are coming from on the Fred front, i love and miss our Fred, i say, i miss our Fred!

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!

You might also like...

Coronation Street Books for Fans

GRITTY SAGAS BY CORRIE BLOG EDITOR GLENDA YOUNG, PUBLISHED BY HEADLINE. CLICK PIC BELOW!